Hammocking Scouters

  • Jim Greenway
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2004
      I'm an assistant Scoutmaster and just returned from our summer camp in
      northeastern Alabama. My Speer Hammock worked well there. I opted to stay in
      it in lieu of the camp's "B-tac" shelters. My mother-in-law sewed my Speer
      hammock just before last year's Cub Scout resident camp. I used it there, at
      Webeloree and at several other BSA related events as well as in Quetico
      Provincial Park. Several other local Scouters have bought them for
      themselves and, in several instances, their troops.

      YIS (and hammocks),
      Jim

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2004
        So, how many other Scoouters are there on this list?
        Ralph

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Greenway"
        <mtnpathfinder@m...> wrote:
        > I'm an assistant Scoutmaster and just returned from our summer
        camp in
        > northeastern Alabama. My Speer Hammock worked well there. I opted
        to stay in
        > it in lieu of the camp's "B-tac" shelters. My mother-in-law sewed
        my Speer
        > hammock just before last year's Cub Scout resident camp. I used it
        there, at
        > Webeloree and at several other BSA related events as well as in
        Quetico
        > Provincial Park. Several other local Scouters have bought them for
        > themselves and, in several instances, their troops.
        >
        > YIS (and hammocks),
        > Jim

        > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
        it's FREE!
      • Dylan Anderson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2004
          Eagle scout and current assistant scout master here...

          --- Ralph Oborn <polecatpop@...> wrote:
          > So, how many other Scoouters are there on this list?
          > Ralph
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jim
          > Greenway"
          > <mtnpathfinder@m...> wrote:
          > > I'm an assistant Scoutmaster and just returned
          > from our summer
          > camp in
          > > northeastern Alabama. My Speer Hammock worked well
          > there. I opted
          > to stay in
          > > it in lieu of the camp's "B-tac" shelters. My
          > mother-in-law sewed
          > my Speer
          > > hammock just before last year's Cub Scout resident
          > camp. I used it
          > there, at
          > > Webeloree and at several other BSA related events
          > as well as in
          > Quetico
          > > Provincial Park. Several other local Scouters have
          > bought them for
          > > themselves and, in several instances, their
          > troops.
          > >
          > > YIS (and hammocks),
          > > Jim

          > > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger!
          > Download today -
          > it's FREE!

          =====

        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <polecatpop@y...>
            wrote:
            > So, how many other Scoouters are there on this list?

            I'm another. My son is a Wolf in CubScouts and I am his den leader. I'm being
            solicited as a cub master or assistant as our current leader must vacate by next Feb
            (when his son crosses over to Boy Scouts).

            Shane "Mirage"...
          • Paul
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 18, 2004
              --- Mirage <mirage@...> wrote:
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn"
              > <polecatpop@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > So, how many other Scoouters are there on this
              > list?

              Yup, me too. I am a staff trainer for Adirondack BSA
              High Adventure trek leader guides - those who spend
              the summer leading scouts on 5 day backcountry treks.
              Sometimes the camp sites we must select are
              primitive/pristine and hammocking between a couple of
              trees can be far easier than finding a flat dry patch
              of ground even for a very small tent. Hammocks are LNT
              friendly. On the other side of the coin, the well used
              campsites we find can be quite muddy when it rains.
              During our recent wet training week several of us
              staff had hammocks and I'm sure we made a number of
              converts.

              - P

            • Dylan Anderson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 18, 2004
                All you scout people know that Tom Hennessy gives
                discounts to scout leaders and the troop as a whole
                right? Don't quote me, but if you call him up
                directly, I think it is like 20% off to scout members.
                Ordering direct takes more time than walking into
                your local REI, of course, but the discount is worth
                it and he loves to help out scouting.

                --- Paul <nessmuk91@...> wrote:
                > --- Mirage <mirage@...> wrote:
                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph
                > Oborn"
                > > <polecatpop@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > So, how many other Scoouters are there on this
                > > list?
                > >

                > Yup, me too. I am a staff trainer for Adirondack BSA
                > High Adventure trek leader guides - those who spend
                > the summer leading scouts on 5 day backcountry
                > treks.
                > Sometimes the camp sites we must select are
                > primitive/pristine and hammocking between a couple
                > of
                > trees can be far easier than finding a flat dry
                > patch
                > of ground even for a very small tent. Hammocks are
                > LNT
                > friendly. On the other side of the coin, the well
                > used
                > campsites we find can be quite muddy when it rains.
                > During our recent wet training week several of us
                > staff had hammocks and I'm sure we made a number of
                > converts.
                >
                > - P

                =====

              • Tripp Clark
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 20, 2004
                  Hammock camping is catching on with Scouters in the midlands of
                  South Carolina. I am lodge adviser for the Order of the Arrow lodge
                  here, and we have a few hundred members from all of the troups in
                  the 8 county area. At our summer fellowship last year, we had
                  special offers from Hennessy and Speer Hammocks, had several
                  hammocks set up for folks to try out, and Ed Speer graciously came
                  down for the weekend to help us "pitch" hammock camping (THANKS
                  ED!!!). We had lots of interest! Now we have more than 20 local
                  Scouters that are converted hammock campers! The event evaluations
                  showed this as a very popular topic with our Scouts and Scouters.