Re: Double bottom or not

  • Gregory Doggett
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2004
      I have no sewing skills and already own a Speer that I really like
      but it would seem to me that even if you own a Speer single bottom
      you could turn it into a "convertable" double bottom by sewing( or
      having one sewn) a piece of fabric with hook velcro along the sides
      to match the loop velcro on a Speer hammock. If you use short pads
      as I do, 36" to 47" ( I use my pack and extra clothing for
      insulation below the butt/knee area) then this sleeve of fabric
      would be made only long enough to hold the shorter pad and could
      have elastic at the open ends to help snug it up to the hammock
      bottom and allow insertion of the pad(s). Because the Speer hammock
      is already made out of substantial fabric then this sleeve could be
      made very lightweight. Call it a PadPod.
      When you don't need it, just remove it to save weight or to switch
      to the PeaPod.
      A real design whizz could figure out how to make it double as a pack
      cover or short rain cape.
      Think so?
      GD
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2004
        How bout make it out of Noseem netting or a piece of old string
        hammock Since all it does is hold a pad or underquilt up?
        Ralph

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory Doggett"