Subject: Military Jungle Hammocks

  • ptoddf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14 11:12 AM
      John,

      I used one in the Boy Scouts in Florida about 1960. Heavy duty, with hairy sisal ropes, rain fly, net, zipper. Worked great, very comfortable. Infinitely better than sleeping in a little tent with 2 other people in 100% humidity, constant drizzle, and 70 - 75 degree night temps.

      Newer issue ones must be all synthetic. I'm sure the original was all cotton canvas, coated in some areas. Where it wasn't coated it had the strange smell of whatever they used back then to retard fungus and mold growth.

      The Hennessey Hammock is essentially a space-age update of this design, except the rain fly is not attached to the side netting, it's an independent item. And he avoids the heavy zipper with his clever bottom entry design. This is a far better idea, unless you're car camping and want to use the military thing for fun and games. I could see that, if it's really cheap.

      Of course, in the real jungle, you'd always want the fly and the netting so it might as well be one unit, as the original was. You just rolled the whole shebang up into one probably 8 or 9 lb, uninsulated bulky roll.

      I doubt if anything military issue is suitable for lightweight backpacking. I mean the Alice frame pack really works well, but talk about weight, a steel frame, heavy weight canvas bags on it! Impossible. That said, I'm looking for one to use for day hiking and dog walking when I want that weight for conditioning for backpacking. Everything has some place, some use, seems like. And the more different stuff you try out, the more experence and ideas you get.

      Best, Todd in Tarzana.