Pad Sleeve

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2004
      On my last outing of 5 nights, I left my two-layer hammock at home
      and used a single layer Speer Hammock. What I tried was a sleeve for
      a 24"x42"x3/8" standard blue closed cell foam pad. The sleeve is
      sewn into a roll that is about 49" in diameter and open on each end.
      The length of the sleeve was the width of the fabric with hem
      allowances, which was around 44". I used some polyester material from
      the WalMart bargin bin that weighs in the neighborhood of 1.5
      oz/yd^2. The pad simply slides inside the sleeve and what I was
      looking for was an alternative to two-layer hammock that would keep
      the pad from being a stuggle to get into the right postion and to
      also keep perspiration off of my sleeping bag. It seemed to do okay
      in keeping the perspiration off of my sleeping bag but it was more of
      a struggle getting in and out of the hammock as compared to my two-
      layer hammock. However, this is somewhat of a tradeoff because it
      does allow more freedom it deciding how and exactly where I want to
      lay in the hammock because I can reposition myself and the insulation
      fairly easily. Don't have much else to say about it at this point
      except that it may be an alternative to a two-layer hammock in some
      regards. Compared to a two-layer hammock, it weighs about the same,
      it is more of a pain getting in/out, but it can be repositioned. It
      is similar to 'Shanes's Utimate Pad'.

      Well, actually I do have a little more to say about it. Last winter
      when I used my two-layer hammock I was a little concerned that there
      where folds created with the top layer of the hammock from the end
      knot at the footend that channelled convection air currents that
      where circumventing the 'between layer padding' and resulted in a
      cooling effect on my tush. Since then I have been trying to figure
      out other ways to provide insulation that would address that issue.
      This isn't something that would concern me in summertime
      temperatures, but it has stayed in the back of my mind for sometime
      and I thought I would play around with some other approaches before
      cold weather hit.

      Youngblood