Double-Bottom or Not

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2004
      First, I need to thank every one of you that has taken the time to post
      information, opinions, recommendations, instructions, PICTURES! and all
      the rest in this group. As a scoutmaster, I am often called upon to be an
      information resource, and you guys and gals make me look almost like an
      info miser.

      That said, I finally stopped lurking, bought Ed's book (awesome!), read
      it, and am ready to embark on making my first hammock (I've been using a
      nylon mesh one that I bought after reading Allen Leigh's article last
      Fall, but am ready to improve my lot in life).

      I am not a lightweight, either in my camping/backpacking gear or anything
      else for that matter. Reducing gear weight is not an important issue for
      me, given that my knees don't allow much in the way of hiking even
      without a pack.

      I have been using the mesh hammock successfully with a closed-cell pad or
      two as a bottom (as insulation and as a "form" that helps stretch the
      mesh hammock out so it's not so much of a cocoon), and I think I will
      continue to need the pad(s) since I like camping when it's NOT warm and
      buggy (winter is best, imo). I will continue using a sleeping bag or two
      in the hammock, I can't see myself going to a Pea Pod any time soon due
      to costs.

      I know you can put a pad inside a hammock, but is it a big advantage to
      make a double-bottom hammock and leave one side open to allow inserting a
      pad or two? I am a side-sleeper and tend to shift sides once or twice a
      night. Is it easier to maneuver in a hammock if there is material between
      your pad and you, or is the opposite true? Does the pad stay put better
      inside or in between layers? Does a Speer-type hammock easily allow a
      double-bottom with pads inserted?

      Again, I really appreciate all you folks do to make this a GREAT group.
      Hope I can contribute in the future.

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2004
        Hi Jonas,

        Some replies in line below:

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, jonas4321@j... wrote:
        > First, I need to thank every one of you that has taken the time to post
        > information, opinions, recommendations, instructions, PICTURES! and all
        > the rest in this group. As a scoutmaster, I am often called upon to
        be an
        > information resource, and you guys and gals make me look almost like an
        > info miser.
        >
        > That said, I finally stopped lurking, bought Ed's book (awesome!), read
        > it, and am ready to embark on making my first hammock (I've been using a
        > nylon mesh one that I bought after reading Allen Leigh's article last
        > Fall, but am ready to improve my lot in life).

        Reading the book is a great beginning!

        > I am not a lightweight, either in my camping/backpacking gear or
        anything
        > else for that matter. Reducing gear weight is not an important issue for
        > me, given that my knees don't allow much in the way of hiking even
        > without a pack.
        >
        > I have been using the mesh hammock successfully with a closed-cell
        pad or
        > two as a bottom (as insulation and as a "form" that helps stretch the
        > mesh hammock out so it's not so much of a cocoon), and I think I will
        > continue to need the pad(s) since I like camping when it's NOT warm and
        > buggy (winter is best, imo). I will continue using a sleeping bag or two
        > in the hammock, I can't see myself going to a Pea Pod any time soon due
        > to costs.

        Pads work well. Most of us seem to prefer to use the sleeping bag as
        a quilt so it is easier to turn over. For this I unzip the bag until
        it is down to about a foot or two from the bottom of bag and then put
        my feet in the bottom, I use the rest of the bag as a blanket/quilt.
        This actually makes the bag work to much lower temperatures than it
        was built for.

        > I know you can put a pad inside a hammock, but is it a big advantage to
        > make a double-bottom hammock and leave one side open to allow
        inserting a
        > pad or two?

        I think the answer is yes. This is a big advantage. It also allows
        the use of two pads overlapping each other in the middle, which makes
        sure that one of the pads covers each shoulder. Once they are between
        layers of ripstop nylon, the pads tend not to move very much.

        I am a side-sleeper and tend to shift sides once or twice a
        > night. Is it easier to maneuver in a hammock if there is material
        between
        > your pad and you, or is the opposite true? Does the pad stay put better
        > inside or in between layers?

        LOL! I turn over more than a dozen times a night. The double bottom
        makes this much easier.

        Does a Speer-type hammock easily allow a
        > double-bottom with pads inserted?

        A Speer hammock does not have a double bottom. I have built several
        Speer-like hammocks with double bottoms, all of which work pretty
        well. For my latest:

        http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

        Here, the opening for the pad is toward the head and foot ends between
        the webbing attachment and the middle of the hammock.

        > Again, I really appreciate all you folks do to make this a GREAT group.
        > Hope I can contribute in the future.

        Have fun.

        Risk