Re: [Hammock Camping] GSMNP hammock friendly

  • Steve McBride
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2004
      Rick,

      The park is most definitely suited to hammock use. This Fall will be my fourth trip there for backpacking. I used hammocks last year and will bring them again this year (the first year we took bivys, the second year, tarps). My Dad lives down there, so I take him for a trip each year. The only restrictions I'm aware of is if you stay at a shelter. You're not allowed to camp outside them on the AT.

      If you're interested in some notes and pictures of my last two trips, see http://www.skmcbride.com/dad_son_2002.php and http://www.skmcbride.com/dad_son_2003.php
      The site is set up mostly for family, but you are welcome to browse.

      Steve