Re: [Hammock Camping] More Cheap and Easy

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11 5:53 PM
      Ralph-

      Upstate NY. Just finished a 7-year stint as Scoutmaster, and camping with
      the Troop (11-17 year-olds) is about the only camping I get to do (no
      time!). We mostly don't do backpacking as a Troop (short hikes from the
      vehicles to the camping sites). I am currently using a Marina Double
      nylon mesh hammock (no bugnet yet, have only done winter and spring
      camping in it so far). I am planning my upgrade to a "real" camping
      hammock, just ordered Ed's book as a start. I've really enjoyed Risk's
      pictures of the hammocks he has made, can't wait to get the book and try
      my hand. My gear seems so primitive compared to what I see in this group.
      This group has been the best thing for me to learn about hammocks ever.

      My total cost so far has been $50 including a 8X10 tarp, hammock and poly
      webbing, so cheap is my motto, too. The biggest drawback to the mesh
      hammock has been keeping the closed-cell foam pad in the thing, it keeps
      popping out at the corners. It's been pretty comfy. I got the gear idea
      after reading the article by Allen Leigh. My first night hammock camping
      was at 15 degrees F, and was plenty warm (if you can be warm in a tent in
      the winter, being warm in a hammock is not hard, even without pea pods,
      though they seem awesome). I prefer winter camping, having taken Okpik,
      and I love the no bugs and no crowds. I read the postings in this group
      about staying warm at 45 degrees, and I can't help thinking that's balmy
      for my area. No mean-spirited intention there, it's just from my
      perspective. I use a 25 degree poly-fill bag and a fleece bag as a liner
      in the winter. I made a fleece balaclava that is my sleeping headgear in
      the winter. Like I said, I am not an ultralight backpacker, so weight has
      not been my focus.

      From what I have experienced and read, the webbing isn't where I would
      save my money. The folks on this group are MUCH more experienced than me,
      and I have learned a ton just lurking (guess that's ended - lurking, that
      is). Thank you ALL for sharing your experiences, btw.

      I used to be an Eagle, myself... and a Staffer (twice). I got to use my
      hammock on the last course this Spring, and it became part of the
      presentation for camping techniques. I would have loved to have some of
      the more experienced hammock campers there to show the Scout leaders (and
      me) how it's really done!

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!