Re: [Hammock Camping] More Cheap and Easy

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2004
      Ralph-

      I have 100' of muletape in my backpack (I am not an ultralight camper, I
      tend to only campout with my Troop). I keep it there for emergencies
      (like pulling a truck out of a mudhole). It is truly amazing stuff. Mine
      is rated to 1800 lbs.

      It is used by people who run cable through conduit, mostly underground.
      They use a blower or a vacuum to send the muletape through the conduit,
      tie the cable on and use a winch or truck bumper to pull the cable
      through the conduit. It is extremely lightweight. If you can hook up with
      a cabling company, you can probably get several hundred feet for free
      (once it is used a time or two, they are okay with discarding it). That's
      how I got mine.

      I don't think it would be good for attaching a hammock to a tree because
      it is so narrow it would tend to damage a tree the same way that a rope
      would (I use 1" poly webbing to avoid that). It also does not maintain
      its flat shape well like webbing does, so even a water knot is quite
      difficult to untie once a load has been put on it.

      Finally, it snags very easily, unlike the poly webbing I use. I think it
      would get messy after a few uses on a tree.

      Just my 2 cents. I have enjoyed reading of your ventures through
      hammocking on the cheap! I am also a cheap-o, but is more due to my wife
      controlling what I spend than anything else <grin>.

      On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 04:06:40 -0000 "Ralph Oborn" <polecatpop@...>
      writes:
      > In the continuing quest to go real cheap an easy. I found 70 ft. of
      > poly pull cable in my Dad's garage. It is called muletape is about
      > 3/4 inch and it says 2500 lbs on it. I used it to pull somebodys
      > truck out of a mud hole so I think it is pretty tough.
      > Any way when I looked it up on the web it is only 8 cents a foot.
      > And they advertise it as extremely low stretch). The catch is that
      > price is for 3,000 ft ($276). (enough for 100 hammocks)
      > I'll check with a friend at church tomorrow to see if you can get
      > smaller lots (electrical supply house).
      >
      > Ralph, (Cheap an Easy)

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2004
        Anything for the troop

        I used it to pull a van out of a mudhole. I was just thinking of
        using it to go from hammock to treehuggers. Or maybe to the multiple
        wraps a la Ed Speer.
        To use as a tow rope OI had to use a Fishermans Jam knot.
        Isn't it nice that our wives help us to be more frugal.

        Where you at? Where do you do tour camping, which age group.

        Ralph (I used to be an Antelope)

      • jonas4321@juno.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 11, 2004
          Ralph-

          Upstate NY. Just finished a 7-year stint as Scoutmaster, and camping with
          the Troop (11-17 year-olds) is about the only camping I get to do (no
          time!). We mostly don't do backpacking as a Troop (short hikes from the
          vehicles to the camping sites). I am currently using a Marina Double
          nylon mesh hammock (no bugnet yet, have only done winter and spring
          camping in it so far). I am planning my upgrade to a "real" camping
          hammock, just ordered Ed's book as a start. I've really enjoyed Risk's
          pictures of the hammocks he has made, can't wait to get the book and try
          my hand. My gear seems so primitive compared to what I see in this group.
          This group has been the best thing for me to learn about hammocks ever.

          My total cost so far has been $50 including a 8X10 tarp, hammock and poly
          webbing, so cheap is my motto, too. The biggest drawback to the mesh
          hammock has been keeping the closed-cell foam pad in the thing, it keeps
          popping out at the corners. It's been pretty comfy. I got the gear idea
          after reading the article by Allen Leigh. My first night hammock camping
          was at 15 degrees F, and was plenty warm (if you can be warm in a tent in
          the winter, being warm in a hammock is not hard, even without pea pods,
          though they seem awesome). I prefer winter camping, having taken Okpik,
          and I love the no bugs and no crowds. I read the postings in this group
          about staying warm at 45 degrees, and I can't help thinking that's balmy
          for my area. No mean-spirited intention there, it's just from my
          perspective. I use a 25 degree poly-fill bag and a fleece bag as a liner
          in the winter. I made a fleece balaclava that is my sleeping headgear in
          the winter. Like I said, I am not an ultralight backpacker, so weight has
          not been my focus.

          From what I have experienced and read, the webbing isn't where I would
          save my money. The folks on this group are MUCH more experienced than me,
          and I have learned a ton just lurking (guess that's ended - lurking, that
          is). Thank you ALL for sharing your experiences, btw.

          I used to be an Eagle, myself... and a Staffer (twice). I got to use my
          hammock on the last course this Spring, and it became part of the
          presentation for camping techniques. I would have loved to have some of
          the more experienced hammock campers there to show the Scout leaders (and
          me) how it's really done!