Re: hammock for the dog??...

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9 8:12 AM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "vwvancamp" <2swans2@c...>
      wrote:
      > hello, everyone. i've enjoyed reading the posts that are coming to
      > our email--this will be my first post, so here goes...
      >
      > do you think a fairly well-trained 85 # dog would sleep in a
      cheaper hammock of his own

      I can't imagine my dog doing this, but it seems like some dogs might
      go for it. Why not just a pad under your hammock? If you feel he
      needs more shelter a small tarp rigged over the pad might make him
      feel more secure. (dogs seem to like crates)

      As far as low temperatures go, if you rig a tarp/tent for your dog,
      the 20*F temps would not be a concern.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16 10:36 PM
        We were discussing this recently on the list and since then I have
        put more thought into it since I am also a dog hiker. In cooler
        temps I don't it would be worth it to have the dog in a hammock of
        his own, at least not one hanging off the ground. First, it would
        likely take a fair amount of training to get him confident with
        entering and exiting. Second, he could easily puncture the hammock
        fabric, and finally, for heat conservation their is no advantage to
        having him off the ground. My thoughts (albeit untested with my own
        dog to this point) are that a tarp, pad combo would be the most
        efficient regarding heat conservation, weight and flexability. Dogs
        curl up in a ball to retain heat, so a small covered space on the
        ground is perfect. I was even thinking of digging a small hole,
        filling with pine needles or grass then placing the pad or a blanket
        on top for my dog. As for shelter from the elements and to help
        retain heat, I would create this space directly under my hammock. I
        would also, when hiking with my dog, bring a larger tarp so I could
        tie it down closer to the ground on each side resulting in a
        sheltered space for my dog. I don't think my dog would wander in the
        night, she's too much of a chicken but as already mentioned a tie out
        of some kind would probably be a good idea. I would encourage
        something quick release though just in case.

        good luck
        jamie in az

        wrote:
        > hello, everyone. i've enjoyed reading the posts that are coming to
        > our email--this will be my first post, so here goes...
        >
        > do you think a fairly well-trained 85 # dog would sleep in a
        cheaper
        > hammock of his own(with the bug net that zips at side)? anyone ever
        > tried this? this is some unknown brand of ham that i purchased and
        > have not rec'd yet. what are your thot's?
        > i have searched the archive for dogs/hams and found a few, but not
        > many. the one about the dog tent made w/ silnylon was helpful!
        thanks.