hammock for the dog??...

  • vwvancamp
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2004
      hello, everyone. i've enjoyed reading the posts that are coming to
      our email--this will be my first post, so here goes...

      do you think a fairly well-trained 85 # dog would sleep in a cheaper
      hammock of his own(with the bug net that zips at side)? anyone ever
      tried this? this is some unknown brand of ham that i purchased and
      have not rec'd yet. what are your thot's?
      i have searched the archive for dogs/hams and found a few, but not
      many. the one about the dog tent made w/ silnylon was helpful! thanks.
      we have just purchased two HH's, because we must cut down weight if i
      am to contue to backpack(kneecap replacements, anyone??!!).

      most importantly, if you DON'T think dog and ham will mix well, is
      there any one of you that knows what a golden retriever can take as
      far as cold(we camp in the western mountains at high altitudes--20's
      and 30's, some 40's mostly).we have always had him in our little
      tent. how would you provide for him while hammock camping?maybe he
      will have to stay at home? would a closed cell army pad under the ham
      be enough(he lives indoors), or would more shelter need to be rigged?
      any of your ideas would truly be appreciated. thanks for your time--
      Happyham
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "vwvancamp" <2swans2@c...>
        wrote:
        > hello, everyone. i've enjoyed reading the posts that are coming to
        > our email--this will be my first post, so here goes...
        >
        > do you think a fairly well-trained 85 # dog would sleep in a
        cheaper hammock of his own

        I can't imagine my dog doing this, but it seems like some dogs might
        go for it. Why not just a pad under your hammock? If you feel he
        needs more shelter a small tarp rigged over the pad might make him
        feel more secure. (dogs seem to like crates)

        As far as low temperatures go, if you rig a tarp/tent for your dog,
        the 20*F temps would not be a concern.
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2004
          We were discussing this recently on the list and since then I have
          put more thought into it since I am also a dog hiker. In cooler
          temps I don't it would be worth it to have the dog in a hammock of
          his own, at least not one hanging off the ground. First, it would
          likely take a fair amount of training to get him confident with
          entering and exiting. Second, he could easily puncture the hammock
          fabric, and finally, for heat conservation their is no advantage to
          having him off the ground. My thoughts (albeit untested with my own
          dog to this point) are that a tarp, pad combo would be the most
          efficient regarding heat conservation, weight and flexability. Dogs
          curl up in a ball to retain heat, so a small covered space on the
          ground is perfect. I was even thinking of digging a small hole,
          filling with pine needles or grass then placing the pad or a blanket
          on top for my dog. As for shelter from the elements and to help
          retain heat, I would create this space directly under my hammock. I
          would also, when hiking with my dog, bring a larger tarp so I could
          tie it down closer to the ground on each side resulting in a
          sheltered space for my dog. I don't think my dog would wander in the
          night, she's too much of a chicken but as already mentioned a tie out
          of some kind would probably be a good idea. I would encourage
          something quick release though just in case.

          good luck
          jamie in az