Re: [Hammock Camping] Wool Blanket?

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2004
      I used wool blankets instead of a sleeping bag for many, many years. In
      some specific circumstances, I still might, but unless you're trying to save
      money, there are lighter options. If the weight doesn't bother you, wool
      blankets are the best thing on cold nights, IMO.

      Shane

      > Getting more and more excited about the upcoming trip to the
      > Quetico, and reading all of your posts and links, I want to ask for
      > your collective opinion regarding the use of a full length Therma-
      > Rest pad combind with a wool blanket onto which a flannel sleeping
      > bag liner has been stiched for insulation (in and HH) from the
      > effects of compression/heat loss/etc. I've used the blanket/liner
      > combo with wool on top or bottom depending on temperature with
      > success. It ain't light weight like you backpackers are desirous
      > of ... but my canoe can carry a load. Slow going on the portage
      > trails only feeds the mosquitoes a little bit more than they are
      > going to get anyway. I just am concerned that the "system" I'm
      > thinkin' of gives me a comfortable nights sleep in 50 degree
      > temperatures.
    • Matthew Takeda
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2004
        Shane wrote:
        >I used wool blankets instead of a sleeping bag for many, many years. In
        >some specific circumstances, I still might, but unless you're trying to save
        >money, there are lighter options. If the weight doesn't bother you, wool
        >blankets are the best thing on cold nights, IMO.

        Ever try a great kilt?

        Matthew Takeda
        the JOAT
      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2004
          > >I used wool blankets instead of a sleeping bag for many, many
          > >years. In some specific circumstances, I still might, but
          > >unless you're trying to save money, there are lighter options.
          > >If the weight doesn't bother you, wool blankets are the best
          > > thing on cold nights, IMO.
          >
          > Ever try a great kilt?

          Yes, but only briefly. I found that having two seperate blankets was better
          than the one long piece.

          Shane