Wool Blanket?

  • tell you later
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2004
      Getting more and more excited about the upcoming trip to the
      Quetico, and reading all of your posts and links, I want to ask for
      your collective opinion regarding the use of a full length Therma-
      Rest pad combind with a wool blanket onto which a flannel sleeping
      bag liner has been stiched for insulation (in and HH) from the
      effects of compression/heat loss/etc. I've used the blanket/liner
      combo with wool on top or bottom depending on temperature with
      success. It ain't light weight like you backpackers are desirous
      of ... but my canoe can carry a load. Slow going on the portage
      trails only feeds the mosquitoes a little bit more than they are
      going to get anyway. I just am concerned that the "system" I'm
      thinkin' of gives me a comfortable nights sleep in 50 degree
      temperatures.

      Thanx,
      OkHitchiker
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2004
        The wool blanket seems heavy and bulky for what you get. Do you have
        an emotional attachment to this blanket? :]
        I know I pack more than I need while canoeing but wool doesn't seem
        to have the insulative "punch" I'm looking for. And it makes me
        itch. Fleece or down or the like.
        Ralph

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tell you later"

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2004
          tell you later wrote:

          >Getting more and more excited about the upcoming trip to the
          >Quetico, and reading all of your posts and links, I want to ask for
          >your collective opinion regarding the use of a full length Therma-
          >Rest pad combind with a wool blanket onto which a flannel sleeping
          >bag liner has been stiched for insulation (in and HH) from the
          >effects of compression/heat loss/etc. I've used the blanket/liner
          >combo with wool on top or bottom depending on temperature with
          >success. It ain't light weight like you backpackers are desirous
          >of ... but my canoe can carry a load. Slow going on the portage
          >trails only feeds the mosquitoes a little bit more than they are
          >going to get anyway. I just am concerned that the "system" I'm
          >thinkin' of gives me a comfortable nights sleep in 50 degree
          >temperatures.
          >
          >Thanx,
          >OkHitchiker

          Hi OkHitchhiker,

          I plan to make only one carry across portages, carrying canoe and gear.
          While this single heavy piece of equipment would not stop me, a general
          heavy weight approach would stop me from making the single portage.
          Wool works, but it is very heavy as you have mentioned.

          Risk
        • Shane
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8, 2004
            I used wool blankets instead of a sleeping bag for many, many years. In
            some specific circumstances, I still might, but unless you're trying to save
            money, there are lighter options. If the weight doesn't bother you, wool
            blankets are the best thing on cold nights, IMO.

            Shane

            > Getting more and more excited about the upcoming trip to the
            > Quetico, and reading all of your posts and links, I want to ask for
            > your collective opinion regarding the use of a full length Therma-
            > Rest pad combind with a wool blanket onto which a flannel sleeping
            > bag liner has been stiched for insulation (in and HH) from the
            > effects of compression/heat loss/etc. I've used the blanket/liner
            > combo with wool on top or bottom depending on temperature with
            > success. It ain't light weight like you backpackers are desirous
            > of ... but my canoe can carry a load. Slow going on the portage
            > trails only feeds the mosquitoes a little bit more than they are
            > going to get anyway. I just am concerned that the "system" I'm
            > thinkin' of gives me a comfortable nights sleep in 50 degree
            > temperatures.
          • Matthew Takeda
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2004
              Shane wrote:
              >I used wool blankets instead of a sleeping bag for many, many years. In
              >some specific circumstances, I still might, but unless you're trying to save
              >money, there are lighter options. If the weight doesn't bother you, wool
              >blankets are the best thing on cold nights, IMO.

              Ever try a great kilt?

              Matthew Takeda
              the JOAT
            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11, 2004
                > >I used wool blankets instead of a sleeping bag for many, many
                > >years. In some specific circumstances, I still might, but
                > >unless you're trying to save money, there are lighter options.
                > >If the weight doesn't bother you, wool blankets are the best
                > > thing on cold nights, IMO.
                >
                > Ever try a great kilt?

                Yes, but only briefly. I found that having two seperate blankets was better
                than the one long piece.

                Shane