Re: How to Make a Bivy from a Hammock?

  • iobstce
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Lucinda"
      <marketwatcher63@y...> wrote:

      > We were wondering how we could adapt our hammocks so that we could
      > convert them to bivies for camping where there are no trees? I've
      > seen pictures of this technique on the internet, but haven't read
      or
      > seen any descriptions of how EXACTLY it's done. Obviously we need
      > trekking poles, but what additional equipment do we need (i.e. what
      > sort of ground cloth, sleeping pad, guy-line tying techniques do
      you
      > recommend?). It would be great to extend the versatility of our
      > wonderful hammocks.
      >
      > What are the steps to creating a bivy that will be very wind- and
      > water-proof?
      >
      > -Lucinda

      Hello Lucinda,
      Welcome to the group. I've learned that adapting the H&H to a bivy
      is really no big deal. Rock does a good job explaining how. Rock's
      attention to detail did more than anything else on influencing me to
      go w/ the H&H almost a year ago. Another site to check out is Shane
      Steinkampf's review on the ultra-light asym.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%
      20Explorer%20Deluxe%20A-Sym/Shane%20Steinkamp/Long%20Term%20Report/

      If you've tarped before you know that the flying diamond
      configuration sheds wind & rain very well. If you're worried about
      the hammock body becoming abrased just stick an emergency space
      blanket under the hammock as a ground cloth. Treating the hammock
      body w/ silicon water proofing spray & a permethrin bug dope spray
      (Sawyer's @ Wally World works) is an excellent idea also.
      Cordially,
      Carl
    • ciyd01
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
        Welcome to the group! Be sure to post trip reports and descriptions
        of any new things you try, whether they work or not. We love to
        tinker and you'll see folks trying and revising stuff all the time.

        > Thge magic triangle is the secret no one told me about. For a
        > groundcloth get a peice of Tyvek.

        If you can't get hold of tyvek, I like to use a lawn and garden trash
        bag slit down the sides. The plastic is much heavier than most
        kitchen trash bags and is formulated to survive sticks and thorns.
        You can get a box or roll of them at any Home
        Depot/Lowe's/Walmart/Target/(insert discount chain store here). They
        roll up small and weigh very little.

        ciyd
        "If we do not hang together, we will surely hang separately"