Re: How to Make a Bivy from a Hammock? Magic Triangle Secret

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
      I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago
      Sue/Hammock Hanger sent me this answer

      I tried this numerous times with disasterous results... UNTIL I sat
      with Tom & Sgt Rock at trail days.
      I will try hard to explain but it is one of those things best seen.

      1- put down a tarp or plastic bag under the hammock
      2- lay out the hammock
      3- tie a CLOVE HITCH in the guide line about 8 inches from the
      hammock around the tip of a hiking stick or something similar
      4- place a stake securely in the ground wrap the guideline around the
      stake
      5- now looking at the pole and stake one place the second stake so
      that you have an even triangle, wrap the guideline around second stake
      6-bring up the guideline and tie it off up at the top of the hiking
      pole. The triangle should be taunt.
      7- repeat on the other side. This is much much easier with a second
      person holding pole #1 for you

      Thge magic triangle is the secret no one told me about. For a
      groundcloth get a peice of Tyvek.

      Here is Sgt Rocks site with pics of a HH as a bivy
      http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock2.html#Tip%203

      Bob
    • iobstce
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Lucinda"
        <marketwatcher63@y...> wrote:

        > We were wondering how we could adapt our hammocks so that we could
        > convert them to bivies for camping where there are no trees? I've
        > seen pictures of this technique on the internet, but haven't read
        or
        > seen any descriptions of how EXACTLY it's done. Obviously we need
        > trekking poles, but what additional equipment do we need (i.e. what
        > sort of ground cloth, sleeping pad, guy-line tying techniques do
        you
        > recommend?). It would be great to extend the versatility of our
        > wonderful hammocks.
        >
        > What are the steps to creating a bivy that will be very wind- and
        > water-proof?
        >
        > -Lucinda

        Hello Lucinda,
        Welcome to the group. I've learned that adapting the H&H to a bivy
        is really no big deal. Rock does a good job explaining how. Rock's
        attention to detail did more than anything else on influencing me to
        go w/ the H&H almost a year ago. Another site to check out is Shane
        Steinkampf's review on the ultra-light asym.

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%
        20Explorer%20Deluxe%20A-Sym/Shane%20Steinkamp/Long%20Term%20Report/

        If you've tarped before you know that the flying diamond
        configuration sheds wind & rain very well. If you're worried about
        the hammock body becoming abrased just stick an emergency space
        blanket under the hammock as a ground cloth. Treating the hammock
        body w/ silicon water proofing spray & a permethrin bug dope spray
        (Sawyer's @ Wally World works) is an excellent idea also.
        Cordially,
        Carl
      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
          Welcome to the group! Be sure to post trip reports and descriptions
          of any new things you try, whether they work or not. We love to
          tinker and you'll see folks trying and revising stuff all the time.

          > Thge magic triangle is the secret no one told me about. For a
          > groundcloth get a peice of Tyvek.

          If you can't get hold of tyvek, I like to use a lawn and garden trash
          bag slit down the sides. The plastic is much heavier than most
          kitchen trash bags and is formulated to survive sticks and thorns.
          You can get a box or roll of them at any Home
          Depot/Lowe's/Walmart/Target/(insert discount chain store here). They
          roll up small and weigh very little.

          ciyd
          "If we do not hang together, we will surely hang separately"