How to Make a Bivy from a Hammock?

  • Lucinda
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
      Hello Everyone,

      I'm Lucinda from Atlanta and new to the group. My boyfriend and I
      have taken our HH Backpacker ASyms out a couple of times backpacking
      and we love them. We're learning more new things all the time.
      (Interestingly, we haven't run across any other hammock campers in the
      Southern Appalachians. Where are they??). Last weekend we were
      backpacking through Pisgah National Forest along the Art Loeb trail
      and saw a few tents near the top of Black Balsam Bald. The
      environment there is very open at about 6,000 feet, grassy, VERY windy
      and could be quite muddy when it rains.

      We were wondering how we could adapt our hammocks so that we could
      convert them to bivies for camping where there are no trees? I've
      seen pictures of this technique on the internet, but haven't read or
      seen any descriptions of how EXACTLY it's done. Obviously we need
      trekking poles, but what additional equipment do we need (i.e. what
      sort of ground cloth, sleeping pad, guy-line tying techniques do you
      recommend?). It would be great to extend the versatility of our
      wonderful hammocks.

      What are the steps to creating a bivy that will be very wind- and
      water-proof?

      -Lucinda
    • Brian MacMillin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
        Lucinda,

        I am going on a 22 day bike tour of Nova Scotia in 2 weeks (wow, less
        than that!) and have contemplated the fact that some places I want to
        stay wont have trees. I have done some touring before, and have slept
        between a picnic table and an inverted bike, but the tarp was only about
        18" off the ground, much too close for comfort. This year, I will be
        using an 8'x10.5' silnylon tarp along with my HH. I will be using 3
        poles rigged for attachment to the fly, which won't be a problem for
        you. Rig the tarp with all of the tieouts it has (if it's just the HH
        stock tarp, then just the two) for maximum wind protection. Next, setup
        the hammock between your trekking poles, keeping it loose enough to act
        as a bivy, but not strung so tight that it will put enough strain as to
        pull your stakes out. As for the ground sheet, I have considered a
        couple of alternatives. For bike touring, space is more of a premium
        than weight (about 2000cu in both my rear panniers, no front ones or
        anything on the rack), so this is what I plan to do:

        I'm going to rig kind of an envelope out of either tyvek or silnylon.
        Whether it be an attachment on the ends or on the ends and in the
        middle, I'm not sure yet. But you need to be able to hold the material
        above the ground level to keep water out. Make the hammock loose enough
        to be able to use your pad flat, that way it can function really as a
        pad. If I go with making it out of tyvek, I may sew a small (like
        30"x40") piece of silnylon to the bottom of the tyvek where my arse is
        to help prevent water being forced through.

        I'm still open to suggestions, but these are my initial thoughts.
        Hopefully, I will be able to get a good set of ideas, which I will
        implement in making *something* that I will use for my trip.

        Best regards,
        Brian MacMillin
        OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
        oes@...

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
          I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago
          Sue/Hammock Hanger sent me this answer

          I tried this numerous times with disasterous results... UNTIL I sat
          with Tom & Sgt Rock at trail days.
          I will try hard to explain but it is one of those things best seen.

          1- put down a tarp or plastic bag under the hammock
          2- lay out the hammock
          3- tie a CLOVE HITCH in the guide line about 8 inches from the
          hammock around the tip of a hiking stick or something similar
          4- place a stake securely in the ground wrap the guideline around the
          stake
          5- now looking at the pole and stake one place the second stake so
          that you have an even triangle, wrap the guideline around second stake
          6-bring up the guideline and tie it off up at the top of the hiking
          pole. The triangle should be taunt.
          7- repeat on the other side. This is much much easier with a second
          person holding pole #1 for you

          Thge magic triangle is the secret no one told me about. For a
          groundcloth get a peice of Tyvek.

          Here is Sgt Rocks site with pics of a HH as a bivy
          http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock2.html#Tip%203

          Bob
        • iobstce
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Lucinda"
            <marketwatcher63@y...> wrote:

            > We were wondering how we could adapt our hammocks so that we could
            > convert them to bivies for camping where there are no trees? I've
            > seen pictures of this technique on the internet, but haven't read
            or
            > seen any descriptions of how EXACTLY it's done. Obviously we need
            > trekking poles, but what additional equipment do we need (i.e. what
            > sort of ground cloth, sleeping pad, guy-line tying techniques do
            you
            > recommend?). It would be great to extend the versatility of our
            > wonderful hammocks.
            >
            > What are the steps to creating a bivy that will be very wind- and
            > water-proof?
            >
            > -Lucinda

            Hello Lucinda,
            Welcome to the group. I've learned that adapting the H&H to a bivy
            is really no big deal. Rock does a good job explaining how. Rock's
            attention to detail did more than anything else on influencing me to
            go w/ the H&H almost a year ago. Another site to check out is Shane
            Steinkampf's review on the ultra-light asym.

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%
            20Explorer%20Deluxe%20A-Sym/Shane%20Steinkamp/Long%20Term%20Report/

            If you've tarped before you know that the flying diamond
            configuration sheds wind & rain very well. If you're worried about
            the hammock body becoming abrased just stick an emergency space
            blanket under the hammock as a ground cloth. Treating the hammock
            body w/ silicon water proofing spray & a permethrin bug dope spray
            (Sawyer's @ Wally World works) is an excellent idea also.
            Cordially,
            Carl
          • ciyd01
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2004
              Welcome to the group! Be sure to post trip reports and descriptions
              of any new things you try, whether they work or not. We love to
              tinker and you'll see folks trying and revising stuff all the time.

              > Thge magic triangle is the secret no one told me about. For a
              > groundcloth get a peice of Tyvek.

              If you can't get hold of tyvek, I like to use a lawn and garden trash
              bag slit down the sides. The plastic is much heavier than most
              kitchen trash bags and is formulated to survive sticks and thorns.
              You can get a box or roll of them at any Home
              Depot/Lowe's/Walmart/Target/(insert discount chain store here). They
              roll up small and weigh very little.

              ciyd
              "If we do not hang together, we will surely hang separately"