[Hammock Camping] Re: ZHammock Page

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
      > Dave Womble wrote:
      >
      > >Rick,
      > >
      > >I was a little curious about the advantage of using whipped ends.
      > >think you mentioned before that you were not hemming the short
      ends
      > >of the hammock when you used Ed's overhand knot but that you do
      hem
      > >the short ends of the hammock when you use the whipped ends. You
      > >still use less fabric with the whipped ends, but you have added
      cord
      > >to the whipped ends. Seems to me the overhand knot is easier to
      make
      > >and is known to be trouble free. Any idea of how much weight you
      are
      > >saving using the whipped ends versus the overhand knot?
      > >
      > >Dave
      > >

      > Dave,
      >
      > Weight saved in cloth is about an ounce. Actually 8/9 of 1.1 oz.
      The
      > weight of the cords I used is about half of that - half an ounce.
      > Almost all the weight savings could be retained by using a very
      light
      > whipping of heavy fishing line. But weight savings is not the best
      > reason to consider whipped ends.
      >
      > There is the savings of the cost and bulk of the cloth to
      consider. I
      > bought almost a yard less of material and saved about $4 of
      material
      > cost. When I fold my hammock up, there is a little less bulk to
      stuff
      > into the stuff sack.
      >
      > The other advantage is mainly for experimenters like me. It is as
      easy
      > as duck soup to take the whipping off and make a change in the
      hammock.
      > Having untied the overhand knots in hammocks many times, I don't
      mind
      > skipping the 15-30 minutes necessary to untie those nasty knots at
      all.
      > Ray Garlington originally made the suggestion when he was
      experimenting
      > with smooth curves in the end of the hammock with a goal of having
      > better edge control. I have not tried those experiments, but can
      > imagine how whipping the end of the hammock can make such a
      process
      > much easier.
      >
      > I am considering adding a second whipping that incorporates the
      strap
      > and the hammock - that will be purely for the vanity of making the
      joint
      > look finished.
      >
      > However, at day's finish, whipping or tying the ends of the hammock
      is a
      > flourish and not worth worrying about. For the addicted hammock
      > builder, I suggest trying the whipping route as an experiment. I
      find
      > the improvement modest, but real. Only a year's worth of
      experience
      > will tell me if the whipped end is as durable as the Speer overhand
      knot.

      > Risk

      Thanks Rick, I can appreciate untying the overhand knots as I too
      have wore out my fingers on occasion. I guess any weight savings
      using the whipping instead of the overhand knot will be a function of
      the weight of the fabric and the width of the hammock. I say this
      because the whipping requires hemmed ends and the amount of fabric
      taken up would seem to be independent of fabric weight and hammock
      width, where as with the overhand knot the hemmed end is not
      necessary and the amount of fabric taken up with the knot will change
      depending on the fabric weight and hammock width. What I am getting
      at is that for some combination of fabric weight and hammock width,
      the whipping technique could actually result in a heavier hammock.
      For instance, if you used a single layer of 1.1 oz material for a 4
      foot wide hammock it is not obvious to me that the whipped ends would
      result in a weight savings... actually, when I try to back that out
      using your estimates I suspect that the whipping would result in a
      slightly heavier hammock. Just trying to do a little figuring, and
      thanks again for the info.

      Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
        Dave,

        I understand your question about weight.

        This is what I have done:
        - I cut the hammock cloth 1 foot shorter
        - I sew a rolled over hem, a quarter to a third of an inch wide (This
        shortens the hammock about an inch overall, when both ends are considered.)

        So I save a foot of hammock fabric length. I think this almost always
        will be a weight savings when adding back in the weight of whipping
        cord, but not much. For a double bottom hammock it saves two feet of
        length. That is where I got my 8 sq ft of savings (my hammocks, as you
        know, are 4 feet wide). Since a square yard is 9 sq ft, I figured I
        saved 8/9 of the 1.1 oz per sq yard of fabric.

        Seen another way, it can save 1/10 of the hammock material weight for my
        now 9 foot long material that was 10 feet long before. And I get the
        same interior room I had previously.

        Rick