Re: [Hammock Camping] New member

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2004
      Quoting Frances Jason <categrrl@...>:

      > Hi,
      > I just joined from GA... I have been backpacking tent camping and
      > I'm going to buy a hammock soon. Looking forward to learning more
      > about all of this.
      >
      > I've got two wee ones (1 and 3) and we all love hiking and camping.
      > With all the rain we have been having, it seems like a hammock would
      > be a good alternative carrying around a muddy tent.
      >
      > Happy Camping,
      >
      > Flame

      Welcome Flame. I hope this commuity of hammock campers can help you learn and
      have fun.

      However, from the get-go - be careful of little ones in hammocks. Though I do
      not have much experience, two risks are obvious:
      - falling - lesser of the two risks
      - getting squished between hammock and adult - greater of two risks

      Either could hurt/kill a little one.

      Rick
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ra1@i... wrote:
        > Quoting Frances Jason <categrrl@y...>:
        >
        > > I've got two wee ones (1 and 3) and we all love hiking and
        camping.
        > > With all the rain we have been having, it seems like a hammock
        would
        > > be a good alternative carrying around a muddy tent.
        > >

        > However, from the get-go - be careful of little ones in hammocks.
        Though I do
        > not have much experience, two risks are obvious:
        > - falling - lesser of the two risks
        > - getting squished between hammock and adult - greater of two risks
        >
        > Either could hurt/kill a little one.

        Ditto, don't plan on finding a hammock for multiple people AND
        camping. Let alone the discomfort, there is the obvious danger to
        little ones Rick mentions above.

        My boys, 4 and 7, now sleep in hammocks about 30% of the time for
        bed time, and my 7 yr old has been out over night with me. I set
        them up in seperate hammocks with thier own insulation. I try to
        find tree arrangements where we can tie off to one tree at the feet
        and two trees at the head and the we share the tarp.

        Family camping with hammocks is a diffenent experience and not
        suited to everyone. There is great pyscological comfort in sleeping
        next to a parent in a common shelter (tent) for young children
        sleeping outdoors. Until they are acclimated and ready (only you
        will know that) you may have to plan on ground sleeping with them.

        If I go out with my oldest, we hammock camp, but when its both boys,
        we tarp or tent camp since the youngest is still uneasy in the woods
        at night. When it is the whole family, we take the MONSTER cabin
        tent (car camping) AND the hammocks. We lounge in the hammocks
        during the day (when we're not "playing") and sleep in the tent at
        night. As the kids get older (i also have a 2 yr old) we may
        migrate towards hammock camping as a family, but who knows...

        For now it is just a backpacking experience for me and my oldest,
        not for our family car camping trips.

        Definately try to acclimate them to hammock sleeping at home first
        though. That has helped my boys tremendously.

        Just some personal insight and opinion, YMMV.

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • Billy Chard
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
          Hello all
          I am new to this forum so thought i would share a lil from my last
          camping trip in Devils Fork.

          me and a buddy and our Hammock's yall take a look and enjoy

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
            nice spot yall found there!

            Billy Chard <bc100s@...> wrote: Hello all
            I am new to this forum so thought i would share a lil from my last
            camping trip in Devils Fork.

            me and a buddy and our Hammock's yall take a look and enjoy

          • Garry
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Billy Chard" <bc100s@...> wrote:

              > Hello all
              > I am new to this forum so thought i would share a lil from my last
              > camping trip in Devils Fork.
              >
              > me and a buddy and our Hammock's yall take a look and enjoy

              Nice pics and welcome to the group!