ZHammock Page

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5 7:14 AM
      Good Morning Gang,

      I wrote up a little page on the Z hammock from my previous post. It has
      a picture of the way I do the whipped end of the hammock, the attachment
      of the removable bug net, and the way the hammock tube seals the end of
      the bug net.

      Here it is for your reading and building pleasure:

      http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

      Risk
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6 1:38 PM
        Rick,

        I was a little curious about the advantage of using whipped ends. I
        think you mentioned before that you were not hemming the short ends
        of the hammock when you used Ed's overhand knot but that you do hem
        the short ends of the hammock when you use the whipped ends. You
        still use less fabric with the whipped ends, but you have added cord
        to the whipped ends. Seems to me the overhand knot is easier to make
        and is known to be trouble free. Any idea of how much weight you are
        saving using the whipped ends versus the overhand knot?

        Dave

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6 2:04 PM
          Dave Womble wrote:

          >Rick,
          >
          >I was a little curious about the advantage of using whipped ends. I
          >think you mentioned before that you were not hemming the short ends
          >of the hammock when you used Ed's overhand knot but that you do hem
          >the short ends of the hammock when you use the whipped ends. You
          >still use less fabric with the whipped ends, but you have added cord
          >to the whipped ends. Seems to me the overhand knot is easier to make
          >and is known to be trouble free. Any idea of how much weight you are
          >saving using the whipped ends versus the overhand knot?
          >
          >Dave

          Dave,

          Weight saved in cloth is about an ounce. Actually 8/9 of 1.1 oz. The
          weight of the cords I used is about half of that - half an ounce.
          Almost all the weight savings could be retained by using a very light
          whipping of heavy fishing line. But weight savings is not the best
          reason to consider whipped ends.

          There is the savings of the cost and bulk of the cloth to consider. I
          bought almost a yard less of material and saved about $4 of material
          cost. When I fold my hammock up, there is a little less bulk to stuff
          into the stuff sack.

          The other advantage is mainly for experimenters like me. It is as easy
          as duck soup to take the whipping off and make a change in the hammock.
          Having untied the overhand knots in hammocks many times, I don't mind
          skipping the 15-30 minutes necessary to untie those nasty knots at all.
          Ray Garlington originally made the suggestion when he was experimenting
          with smooth curves in the end of the hammock with a goal of having
          better edge control. I have not tried those experiments, but can
          imagine how whipping the end of the hammock can make such a process
          much easier.

          I am considering adding a second whipping that incorporates the strap
          and the hammock - that will be purely for the vanity of making the joint
          look finished.

          However, at day's finish, whipping or tying the ends of the hammock is a
          flourish and not worth worrying about. For the addicted hammock
          builder, I suggest trying the whipping route as an experiment. I find
          the improvement modest, but real. Only a year's worth of experience
          will tell me if the whipped end is as durable as the Speer overhand knot.

          Risk
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6 4:39 PM
> [...]
            > better edge control. I have not tried those experiments, but can
            > imagine how whipping the end of the hammock can make such a
            process
            > much easier.
            >
            > I am considering adding a second whipping that incorporates the
            strap
            > and the hammock - that will be purely for the vanity of making the
            joint
            > look finished.
            >
            > However, at day's finish, whipping or tying the ends of the hammock
            is a
            > flourish and not worth worrying about. For the addicted hammock
            > builder, I suggest trying the whipping route as an experiment. I
            find
            > the improvement modest, but real. Only a year's worth of
            experience
            > will tell me if the whipped end is as durable as the Speer overhand

            Thanks Rick, I can appreciate untying the overhand knots as I too
            have wore out my fingers on occasion. I guess any weight savings
            using the whipping instead of the overhand knot will be a function of
            the weight of the fabric and the width of the hammock. I say this
            because the whipping requires hemmed ends and the amount of fabric
            taken up would seem to be independent of fabric weight and hammock
            width, where as with the overhand knot the hemmed end is not
            necessary and the amount of fabric taken up with the knot will change
            depending on the fabric weight and hammock width. What I am getting
            at is that for some combination of fabric weight and hammock width,
            the whipping technique could actually result in a heavier hammock.
            For instance, if you used a single layer of 1.1 oz material for a 4
            foot wide hammock it is not obvious to me that the whipped ends would
            result in a weight savings... actually, when I try to back that out
            using your estimates I suspect that the whipping would result in a
            slightly heavier hammock. Just trying to do a little figuring, and
            thanks again for the info.

            Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6 5:22 PM
              Dave,

              I understand your question about weight.

              This is what I have done:
              - I cut the hammock cloth 1 foot shorter
              - I sew a rolled over hem, a quarter to a third of an inch wide (This
              shortens the hammock about an inch overall, when both ends are considered.)

              So I save a foot of hammock fabric length. I think this almost always
              will be a weight savings when adding back in the weight of whipping
              cord, but not much. For a double bottom hammock it saves two feet of
              length. That is where I got my 8 sq ft of savings (my hammocks, as you
              know, are 4 feet wide). Since a square yard is 9 sq ft, I figured I
              saved 8/9 of the 1.1 oz per sq yard of fabric.

              Seen another way, it can save 1/10 of the hammock material weight for my
              now 9 foot long material that was 10 feet long before. And I get the
              same interior room I had previously.

              Rick