Re: Hammock End

  • halconsfire
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3 11:08 PM
      I have the same style hammock and my sides are tight. I also have a
      bugnet with a zipper I made with the same principle in mind.

      my hammock is 36" wide so I took some stretchy mesh fabric and made
      it 48" wide and the 5" longer than the hammock. I did the draw string
      thing to the ends and stitched a zipper down the entire length of the
      mesh. the bugnet goes around the entire hammock and zips up the ends
      are drawn tight because of the line that runs through the 2" hems on
      the ends. it looks and works great.

      Halcon
    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6 4:17 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...>
        wrote:
        > Mirage wrote:
        > >Doug, I have made two hammocks this way and here is what I found:
        > >1. The hammock sides do not hang "right" for camping purposes, too
        > >loose and floppy.
        >
        > This is interesting. It is the opposite of my experience. The
        sides of my
        > hammocks are not floppy at all. In fact, because of the way the
        line
        > curves, the sides are significantly tighter than the middle.

        I did not mean to imply the sides were "floppy", but not optimally
        tensioned for my preferences when using my home made under/over
        quilt (similar in function to Ed Speers PeaPod).

        I have several made with the "line-thru-the-hem" method, and like
        them very much. They are much more comfortable (to me)
        for "lounging" in. They also work OK with underquilts that do not
        wrap around the entire hammock.

        Just my personal observations and preferences.

        > >2. With the "line-thru-the-hem" method, the line is semi-
        perminately
        > >attached. I don't like that. I like to have my lines/straps
        easily
        > >removable.
        >
        > I guess I just don't understand what you're doing. My hem makes a
        fabric
        > tube. I fit it to a piece of plastic tubing to prevent chafe
        between the
        > hanging line and the fabric, but even if I didn't, the line would
        easily
        > slip in and out. How are you fastening the line on that makes it
        > "semi-permanently attached?"

        I guess what I was trying to say was that the way I have done this,
        I end up with a bunch of hammock hem gathered at the end, with a
        rope running thru the hem. I usually then tie a knot or make a loop
        out of the ropejust big enough to tie another rope/strap to for
        hanging. This method ends up with a loop whose flat lenght
        (circumference) is less than the width of the hammock end. If I
        were to pull it out in the field, re-threading it would be a pain.

        I'm sure there are other ways of doing it that I've not tried or
        thought of that would be less troublesome to work with.

        Hike your own hike; Hang your own hammock ;)

        Shane "Mirage"...