Mosquito Hammock in Myakka

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2004
      Gang:

      I took the Mosquito Hammock on an overnight to Myakka State Park last
      weekend, and it performed beautifully. It's quickly becoming a favorite
      model because it works in two distinct modes.

      I think of this as a "day and night" hammock.

      I hang the hammock as one might normally do, but I don't tie up the netting.
      During the day, I flip the netting side down, and use the hammock for
      lounging or as a chair or a shelf while I putter around camp.

      When evening (and the mosquito) comes, I flip the hammock back to nighttime
      mode, with the netting side up, and tie up the bungee lines to tension the
      netting.

      The manufacturer is now offering a long model -- nine feet long, rather than
      eight. The long model uses dark rather then light netting. It's body is
      camouflage colored. Evidently it was produced for the French Foreign Legion!

      If you're a hammock consumer, rather than a developer or maker, I think
      these are a great value. $60 for the regular one, and $70 for the long one.

      Bear
    • Jon Moneymaker
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
        Hello all....
        have been a tent camper/hiker many years ago (30+), and in my later years (now 50)rediscovering hiking/camping .........AND having stumbled on the newer hammocks currently being manufactured....(until recently have not even considered anything other than a tent).
        From the various sites I have visited (SGT Rock: a great site, et al) the Hennessy seems to be the preferred hammock for craftsmanship, price and innovation.

        My question relates to the decision to buy one or make one.
        I have some sewing skills and the idea of making one is interesting, but aside from the speer hammock site/book (which I have not yet purchased) there seems to be a real lack of any patterns out there for making a hammock.

        While I realize they are not rocket science and since I don't have one to copy.....
        do any of you out there in hammock camping land have any suggestions?

        have any of you made your own?
        if so, how long did it take you? What would you do/have done differently?
        if so, what plans/pattern did you use?

        My initial (gut) feeling is just buy one and not worry about making one. Leave the design and experimentation to people who have the time and resources.

        Final question: the mosquito hammock mentioned in this thread, is it a decent option. It looks pretty nice and for what you get reasonably priced.

        thanks for letting me ramble, and any help.

        Jon

        David Chinell <dchinell@...> wrote:
[...]

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/z1TolB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Chet Clocksin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
          Bear,
          Have you tried the "long" model. My brother is interested in one, but couldn't get an answer from the manufacturer (distributor?) as to what fabric it's made from or how much it weighs. Any info would be appreciated.

          Chet

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
            Jon,
            Your questions are great. I came to hammock camping almost the same way as you, and in fact, SGT Rocks site was very influential, and I ended up buying a Hennessey Hammock as my fisrt camping hammock. Its a nice hammock, and well made.

            There are LOTS of options out there nowadays when it comes to purchasing a hammock, and a good place to start (if you haven't already) is the list of hammock manufacturers that Ed Speer lists in his free electronic news letter. Sounds like you're already in research mode.

            I have now made several hammocks, in addition to purchasing my original HH. I bought Ed Speer's book, and followed the directions with only slight modifications(double bottom rather than single), and made a fantastic hammock. Ed's book is a great resource, and the hammock instructions alone are worth the price of the book. Anyway, then I started thinking about my hammocks with a critical eye, and decided to try to improve/modify the design to better suit my needs, and I found that I enjoy creating my own gear (within reason that is), and that it was easier than I ever thought to make my own shelter, and I could add the features I like and discard the ones I don't.

            I have now made 4 hammocks, and the time to make them is now much less than the first one. The first hammock , following Ed's directions, probably took me a total of 4 to 6 hours when all said and done. Keep in mind though, I had never used a sewing machine before, so I was very tentative about everything I did on that first hammock. Now I can whip out a complete hammock in anywhere between 30 minutes to a couple of hours depending mainly on what kind of bug net I go with. I am finding there are lots of ways to configure a bug net that don't require a whole lot of sewing.

            So, the bottom line, you have plenty of options for purchasing a well made camping hammock, and you'll find that it quite simple to make your own high quality camping hammock as well. Ed's book has the basic pattern, and many modifications can be made from this basic set of instructions. Also, Check out Rick Alnutt's (sp?) site at IMrisk.com for some patterns/instructions on how to make several hammocks, and some other gear as well.

            Good luck whichever way you decide to go! You won't regret the switch from lumpy hard ground to the comfort of a hammock!

            Chet

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
              Quoting Jon Moneymaker <moneymakerjk1@...>:
              there
              > seems to be a real lack of any patterns out there for making a hammock.
              >
              > While I realize they are not rocket science and since I don't have one to
              > copy.....
              > do any of you out there in hammock camping land have any suggestions?
              >
              > have any of you made your own?
              > if so, how long did it take you? What would you do/have done differently?
              > if so, what plans/pattern did you use?

              Hi Jon,

              Welcome to hammock camping! I just read Chet's response. (blush)

              Ed's book IS fantastic. He describes exactly how to make a hammock. Ed also
              has a kit available to make a complete hammock camping system with well written
              sewing instructions.
              http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

              Other choices from my pages:

              - a cheap and easy hammock to see if you like it:
              http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm

              - my most recent hammock - very easy double bottom one:
              http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

              If you have any questions, there are many here who have made their own hammocks
              and I am sure they would be glad to answer questions. I will also answer
              questions posted here to the best of my ability.

              Risk