RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock End

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
      I use several models of "drawstring" hammocks, including the Nomad Tropical
      Hammock, Hammock Bliss Hammock, Mosquito Hammock, and Crazy Creek Crib.

      I notice that most of these, with the exception of the Crazy Creek and the
      Mosquito use either nothing or supple fabric to reinforce the casing (hem)
      that the hanging ropes pass through. On these, the sides are a bit loose.

      The Crazy Creek uses a heavy leather-like material to reinforce the outer
      inch and a half of the casing. This makes the drawstrings pull the sides
      much tighter than the body. On the Mosquito Hammock, there are at least
      three layers of fabric in the casing, which lends some stiffness to the
      entire casing, and I notice the same tendency to tighten the sides of the
      hammock.

      In short, I think the structure of the casing and reinforcement material, or
      lack of reinforcement material, determines whether or not a drawstring
      hammock will have tight or loose edges.

      I much prefer the looser edges, as these take the worst beating when I get
      in or out. I actually destroyed a Crazy Creek hammock at the reinforcing
      patch in completely mild (back yard) conditions. So I don't think rigid
      reinforcements are a good idea.

      Bear
    • halconsfire
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
        I have the same style hammock and my sides are tight. I also have a
        bugnet with a zipper I made with the same principle in mind.

        my hammock is 36" wide so I took some stretchy mesh fabric and made
        it 48" wide and the 5" longer than the hammock. I did the draw string
        thing to the ends and stitched a zipper down the entire length of the
        mesh. the bugnet goes around the entire hammock and zips up the ends
        are drawn tight because of the line that runs through the 2" hems on
        the ends. it looks and works great.

        Halcon
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...>
          wrote:
          > Mirage wrote:
          > >Doug, I have made two hammocks this way and here is what I found:
          > >1. The hammock sides do not hang "right" for camping purposes, too
          > >loose and floppy.
          >
          > This is interesting. It is the opposite of my experience. The
          sides of my
          > hammocks are not floppy at all. In fact, because of the way the
          line
          > curves, the sides are significantly tighter than the middle.

          I did not mean to imply the sides were "floppy", but not optimally
          tensioned for my preferences when using my home made under/over
          quilt (similar in function to Ed Speers PeaPod).

          I have several made with the "line-thru-the-hem" method, and like
          them very much. They are much more comfortable (to me)
          for "lounging" in. They also work OK with underquilts that do not
          wrap around the entire hammock.

          Just my personal observations and preferences.

          > >2. With the "line-thru-the-hem" method, the line is semi-
          perminately
          > >attached. I don't like that. I like to have my lines/straps
          easily
          > >removable.
          >
          > I guess I just don't understand what you're doing. My hem makes a
          fabric
          > tube. I fit it to a piece of plastic tubing to prevent chafe
          between the
          > hanging line and the fabric, but even if I didn't, the line would
          easily
          > slip in and out. How are you fastening the line on that makes it
          > "semi-permanently attached?"

          I guess what I was trying to say was that the way I have done this,
          I end up with a bunch of hammock hem gathered at the end, with a
          rope running thru the hem. I usually then tie a knot or make a loop
          out of the ropejust big enough to tie another rope/strap to for
          hanging. This method ends up with a loop whose flat lenght
          (circumference) is less than the width of the hammock end. If I
          were to pull it out in the field, re-threading it would be a pain.

          I'm sure there are other ways of doing it that I've not tried or
          thought of that would be less troublesome to work with.

          Hike your own hike; Hang your own hammock ;)

          Shane "Mirage"...