Re: Hammock End

  • Matthew Takeda
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2004
      Doug Campbell wrote:
      >I'm curious, in hammock construction, why doesn't anyone here use the
      >large hem on the ends with line threaded through it (kind of like the
      >drawstring on a stuff sack)?

      I do. I just don't talk about it a lot.

      Mirage wrote:
      >Doug, I have made two hammocks this way and here is what I found:
      >1. The hammock sides do not hang "right" for camping purposes, too
      >loose and floppy.

      This is interesting. It is the opposite of my experience. The sides of my
      hammocks are not floppy at all. In fact, because of the way the line
      curves, the sides are significantly tighter than the middle.

      >2. With the "line-thru-the-hem" method, the line is semi-perminately
      >attached. I don't like that. I like to have my lines/straps easily
      >removable.

      I guess I just don't understand what you're doing. My hem makes a fabric
      tube. I fit it to a piece of plastic tubing to prevent chafe between the
      hanging line and the fabric, but even if I didn't, the line would easily
      slip in and out. How are you fastening the line on that makes it
      "semi-permanently attached?"

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT
    • uluheman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
        I've made two line-through-the-hem hammocks. One is very wide (I pieced together two
        strips of sturdy nylon with a longitudinal seam along the middle of the hammock; the
        seam doesn't give as much as the surrounding fabric, but that hasn't been a major comfort
        problem) and the other is a bit narrow for my taste (I used a waste piece from a sailmaker;
        that purple piece is about 5 times as strong as 1.9 oz nylon, but the sailmaker still said he
        wouldn't trust it as a hammock; Ha!). The big one once held four people at once for
        lounging (!), and the smaller one easily holds two.

        I'm happy with the tension of the sides. I find that with any large hammock, success in
        getting comfortable, especially if sharing with one or more others, depends on finding just
        the right sweet spots for legs and feet and elbows and head, etc. There are an infinite
        number of arrangements, but for any given one, there will be a perfect way to place your
        limbs so that your head and shoulders are happy.

        My Hammock Bliss hammock is also made with the line-through-the-hem. I've put spectra
        line and tree-huggers on all of them.

        Brandon in Honolulu

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...> wrote:
        > Doug Campbell wrote:
        > >I'm curious, in hammock construction, why doesn't anyone here use the
        > >large hem on the ends with line threaded through it (kind of like the
        > >drawstring on a stuff sack)?
        >
        > I do. I just don't talk about it a lot.
        >
        > Mirage wrote:
        > >Doug, I have made two hammocks this way and here is what I found:
        > >1. The hammock sides do not hang "right" for camping purposes, too
        > >loose and floppy.
        >
        > This is interesting. It is the opposite of my experience. The sides of my
        > hammocks are not floppy at all. In fact, because of the way the line
        > curves, the sides are significantly tighter than the middle.
        >
        > >2. With the "line-thru-the-hem" method, the line is semi-perminately
        > >attached. I don't like that. I like to have my lines/straps easily
        > >removable.
        >
        > I guess I just don't understand what you're doing. My hem makes a fabric
        > tube. I fit it to a piece of plastic tubing to prevent chafe between the
        > hanging line and the fabric, but even if I didn't, the line would easily
        > slip in and out. How are you fastening the line on that makes it
        > "semi-permanently attached?"
        >
        > Matthew Takeda
        > the JOAT
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
          I use several models of "drawstring" hammocks, including the Nomad Tropical
          Hammock, Hammock Bliss Hammock, Mosquito Hammock, and Crazy Creek Crib.

          I notice that most of these, with the exception of the Crazy Creek and the
          Mosquito use either nothing or supple fabric to reinforce the casing (hem)
          that the hanging ropes pass through. On these, the sides are a bit loose.

          The Crazy Creek uses a heavy leather-like material to reinforce the outer
          inch and a half of the casing. This makes the drawstrings pull the sides
          much tighter than the body. On the Mosquito Hammock, there are at least
          three layers of fabric in the casing, which lends some stiffness to the
          entire casing, and I notice the same tendency to tighten the sides of the
          hammock.

          In short, I think the structure of the casing and reinforcement material, or
          lack of reinforcement material, determines whether or not a drawstring
          hammock will have tight or loose edges.

          I much prefer the looser edges, as these take the worst beating when I get
          in or out. I actually destroyed a Crazy Creek hammock at the reinforcing
          patch in completely mild (back yard) conditions. So I don't think rigid
          reinforcements are a good idea.

          Bear
        • halconsfire
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
            I have the same style hammock and my sides are tight. I also have a
            bugnet with a zipper I made with the same principle in mind.

            my hammock is 36" wide so I took some stretchy mesh fabric and made
            it 48" wide and the 5" longer than the hammock. I did the draw string
            thing to the ends and stitched a zipper down the entire length of the
            mesh. the bugnet goes around the entire hammock and zips up the ends
            are drawn tight because of the line that runs through the 2" hems on
            the ends. it looks and works great.

            Halcon
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2004
              wrote:
              > Mirage wrote:
              > >Doug, I have made two hammocks this way and here is what I found:
              > >1. The hammock sides do not hang "right" for camping purposes, too
              > >loose and floppy.
              >
              > This is interesting. It is the opposite of my experience. The
              sides of my
              > hammocks are not floppy at all. In fact, because of the way the
              line
              > curves, the sides are significantly tighter than the middle.

              I did not mean to imply the sides were "floppy", but not optimally
              tensioned for my preferences when using my home made under/over
              quilt (similar in function to Ed Speers PeaPod).

              I have several made with the "line-thru-the-hem" method, and like
              them very much. They are much more comfortable (to me)
              for "lounging" in. They also work OK with underquilts that do not
              wrap around the entire hammock.

              Just my personal observations and preferences.

              > >2. With the "line-thru-the-hem" method, the line is semi-
              perminately
              > >attached. I don't like that. I like to have my lines/straps
              easily
              > >removable.
              >
              > I guess I just don't understand what you're doing. My hem makes a
              fabric
              > tube. I fit it to a piece of plastic tubing to prevent chafe
              between the
              > hanging line and the fabric, but even if I didn't, the line would
              easily
              > slip in and out. How are you fastening the line on that makes it
              > "semi-permanently attached?"

              I guess what I was trying to say was that the way I have done this,
              I end up with a bunch of hammock hem gathered at the end, with a
              rope running thru the hem. I usually then tie a knot or make a loop
              out of the ropejust big enough to tie another rope/strap to for
              hanging. This method ends up with a loop whose flat lenght
              (circumference) is less than the width of the hammock end. If I
              were to pull it out in the field, re-threading it would be a pain.

              I'm sure there are other ways of doing it that I've not tried or
              thought of that would be less troublesome to work with.

              Hike your own hike; Hang your own hammock ;)

              Shane "Mirage"...