RE: Hammock Camping Hammock "Kits"

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2003
      Message
      My sister does all my sewing--she uses a very similar zig-zag stitch, but finishes it off with a regular straight stitch right down the center from end to end of the zig-zag 'bar tack'.  She also uses 3 or 4 of these 'bar tacks' along a 6" length of the folded webbing strap.  We've never had any problems....Ed

      >  The only problem I had was a sudden catastrophic failure of the
      stitching in
      > one of the webbing straps -- dumped me on the ground with a decided
      thump.  I
      > was having some trouble with the lower thread on the sewing machine
      and it
      > may not have stitched right.  After I got through with it with my
      hand sewing
      > awl, I don't think it's going anywhere now.

      Hey!  Congratulations on building the hammocks!  I have had success
      using the same stitch that GoLite uses on their reinforced pack
      stress points.

      I am using a fancy dancy Kenmore sewing machine with all those
      electronic controls.  I choose the standard zig-zag stitch and then
      reduce the width from 4.5 to 2 and reduce the length of the stitch
      from 2 to 1 and then sew over the spot on the strap, forward once,
      backward once, then forward again.  This seems to really hold and not
      come undone.