Re: [Hammock Camping] I've done it now.

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
      I'm a backcountry off-trail hiker and long distance
      pond hopping Hornbeck canoe portager. Some of the
      places I go are pretty rough when it comes to finding
      a place to sleep. In the past I've many times
      frustratingly spent over an hour searching for any
      tiny reasonably flat spot to place my solo tent that
      was not either wet or covered with deadfall or full of
      upturned roots. Now that I'm hammocked instead of
      hummocked, all I need look for is 2 trees, what is
      beneath is of little concern. A pretty easy task here
      in the northeast.

      Hammocking has radically changed my perspective in
      campsite selection and increased my late afternoon
      exploration time considerably. Enough so that I can
      make it to that next pond late in the day without
      worry about finding a place to sleep.

      "Paddle" Paul

      --- heimlichfamily@... wrote:
      > I'm both a paddler and hiker and I found out about
      > HH hammocks from a pair of paddlers who swear by
      > them. I got one and use it on hiking and paddling
      > trips and car camping. My old bones should never
      > have slept on the ground, but who knew?
      >
      > I'm kind of a lurker on this list, but enjoy your
      > ingenuity and obvious urge to tinker.
      >
      > Ralph Heimlich

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Lenny Nichols
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004

        I was looking for something lightweight and got a Hennessy Hammock. I found it to be so comfortable, that even if it wasn't lighter than my tent, I'd be using it. Enjoy!

        Lenny Nichols

      • ciyd01
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Paul <nessmuk91@y...> wrote:
          > Now that I'm hammocked instead of
          > hummocked, all I need look for is 2 trees, what is
          > beneath is of little concern. A pretty easy task here
          > in the northeast.

          Take it from me, you do need to look at what is beneath. Nothing
          like an azalea branch sticking you in the butt or the back to remind
          you of that. ;-) My first few site selections left something to be
          desired.

          Seriously, Paul is right, the only thing you have to watch out for is
          small shrubs directly under the hammock. I've pitched my HH on very
          steep hillsides where there were no flat spots or the one or two
          flatt-ish spots were left for those poor suckers who insist on
          sleeping on the ground - and spent the night sliding downhill in
          their tents.

          You are going to love your HH. For warm weather, you don't need as
          much under insulation and you can use your sleeping bag as a quilt.
          Try it out in the backyard get your sleeping system set.

          Have fun!
          ciyd
        • Ken Harmon
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
            Back in April a friend and I kayaked down a river for 135 miles. We
            camped out 4 nights along the way. I used a HH Asym and my friend
            had an old canvas hammock. Two of the nights the temps were in the
            upper 40's and the other two nights were 38 and 34 degrees. A down
            sleeping bag and a Therma-rest pad did the trick. I was as warm as
            the proverbial bug-in-a-rug. Both of us snore rather loudly and we
            could put 50 feet between us without a problem.

            If you click on the photos section, check out "Ken on the Pee Dee"
            to see two of our camp sites.

            You won't regret getting a hammock. I now have four. -Ken

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tell you later"