Re:4.3oz Hammock

  • gerzson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
      >The criticle part is hemming the ends. This is what prevents the whipping from
      >slidding off. Thanks to Rick and others for discovering this. My prior attempts were
      >all failing w/in 30 minutes of use because there was not enought material thickness
      >to bind the whipping and prevent it from slipping off. I had a few bruises ;)
      >
      >Shane "Mirage"...

      I have used a thin (2-3 mm) bungee cord for the whipping.
      Also put the suspension cord with a stopper knot between the material
      folds.
      It seems to hold well.

      __o
      _`\<,_
      (*)/ (*)
    • Gregg Spoering
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2004
        Thanks Shane,
        I might give this a try to shave a bit of weight off my latest hamock-
        1.1 oz (uncoated silnylon) double bottom Speer/ Risk style. With bug net
        and homemade poncho tarp (larger that the extended Equinox, I'm 6'3")
        and including snakeskins, I have it down to 2.12 lbs. If I can lose the
        weight of the hammock knots, I'll be happy.(getting compulsive here...).
        Will probably change the poly straps to some spectra line and use my
        Hennessy tree huggers.
        Gregg

        Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:17:12 -0000
        From: "Mirage" <mirage@...>

        Gregg,

        I'll get some pics up later in the week, but here is an attempt to
        explain it. This is
        based off the basic Speer design, but narrower and instead of the
        overhand knot, we
        whipp the ends.

        1. Cut your fabric to desired lenght (2 feet longer than you).
        2. Hem the ends and edges with a rolled hem (or whatever).
        3. Gather (as per the speer method) or fold (as per the Hennessy method)
        the short
        end of the hammock fabric. You'll want to end up with no more than 1"
        width, it will
        be easier to work with.
        4. Tie, pinch, or bind the end so you can free both hands for the
        whipping.
        5. Being sure to make the whipping VERY tight, tie/wrap a whipping such
        as
        http://www.inquiry.net/images/whip.jpg to the end, just inside the
        hemmed edge of
        the end.
        6. Once the whipping is done, be sure to pull the end that was wrapped
        under, such
        that the working end gets folded and pulled into the binding.
        7. Attach your hang ropes/straps as desired. I use a larks head.

        That's it.

        The criticle part is hemming the ends. This is what prevents the
        whipping from
        slidding off. Thanks to Rick and others for discovering this. My prior
        attempts were
        all failing w/in 30 minutes of use because there was not enought
        material thickness
        to bind the whipping and prevent it from slipping off. I had a few
        bruises ;)

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Gregg Spoering <gspoerin@s...>
          wrote:
          > The criticle part is hemming the ends. This is what prevents the
          > whipping from
          > slidding off. Thanks to Rick and others for discovering this. My
          prior
          > attempts were
          > all failing w/in 30 minutes of use because there was not enought
          > material thickness
          > to bind the whipping and prevent it from slipping off. I had a few
          > bruises ;)

          If you make the hem-over large enough to slide an old bit of rope
          through, it will bulk-up the end even further. (Gives ya something
          to do with that old rope that didn't work out for hammocking...)

          Doug Frost