RE: [Hammock Camping] I've done it now.

  • Chuck Haak
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
      tell you later wrote

      In all of my paddling career on lakes and rivers around the country,
      I've never run accross anybody using a hammock for overnight
      sleeping. Is this just a backpacker thing, or what?

      Tell Ya,
      I am a backpacker and a paddler. In January I used my homemade Speer on
      the Perkinsville stretch of the Verde River in central Arizona. Despite
      temps in the high 30s, it was so cozy and comfortable that I had a hard
      time convincing myself to get out of bed in the morning. I strung the
      Speer between two mesquite trees. Finding suitable trees can be an issue
      in Arizona, however.

      Pbmoo4
    • heimlichfamily@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
        I'm both a paddler and hiker and I found out about HH hammocks from a pair of paddlers who swear by them.  I got one and use it on hiking and paddling trips and car camping.  My old bones should never have slept on the ground, but who knew?

        I'm kind of a lurker on this list, but enjoy your ingenuity and obvious urge to tinker.

        Ralph Heimlich

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
          I'm a backcountry off-trail hiker and long distance
          pond hopping Hornbeck canoe portager. Some of the
          places I go are pretty rough when it comes to finding
          a place to sleep. In the past I've many times
          frustratingly spent over an hour searching for any
          tiny reasonably flat spot to place my solo tent that
          was not either wet or covered with deadfall or full of
          upturned roots. Now that I'm hammocked instead of
          hummocked, all I need look for is 2 trees, what is
          beneath is of little concern. A pretty easy task here
          in the northeast.

          Hammocking has radically changed my perspective in
          campsite selection and increased my late afternoon
          exploration time considerably. Enough so that I can
          make it to that next pond late in the day without
          worry about finding a place to sleep.

          "Paddle" Paul

          --- heimlichfamily@... wrote:
          > I'm both a paddler and hiker and I found out about
          > HH hammocks from a pair of paddlers who swear by
          > them. I got one and use it on hiking and paddling
          > trips and car camping. My old bones should never
          > have slept on the ground, but who knew?
          >
          > I'm kind of a lurker on this list, but enjoy your
          > ingenuity and obvious urge to tinker.
          >
          > Ralph Heimlich

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Lenny Nichols
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004

            I was looking for something lightweight and got a Hennessy Hammock. I found it to be so comfortable, that even if it wasn't lighter than my tent, I'd be using it. Enjoy!

            Lenny Nichols

          • ciyd01
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Paul <nessmuk91@y...> wrote:
              > Now that I'm hammocked instead of
              > hummocked, all I need look for is 2 trees, what is
              > beneath is of little concern. A pretty easy task here
              > in the northeast.

              Take it from me, you do need to look at what is beneath. Nothing
              like an azalea branch sticking you in the butt or the back to remind
              you of that. ;-) My first few site selections left something to be
              desired.

              Seriously, Paul is right, the only thing you have to watch out for is
              small shrubs directly under the hammock. I've pitched my HH on very
              steep hillsides where there were no flat spots or the one or two
              flatt-ish spots were left for those poor suckers who insist on
              sleeping on the ground - and spent the night sliding downhill in
              their tents.

              You are going to love your HH. For warm weather, you don't need as
              much under insulation and you can use your sleeping bag as a quilt.
              Try it out in the backyard get your sleeping system set.

              Have fun!
              ciyd
            • Ken Harmon
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
                Back in April a friend and I kayaked down a river for 135 miles. We
                camped out 4 nights along the way. I used a HH Asym and my friend
                had an old canvas hammock. Two of the nights the temps were in the
                upper 40's and the other two nights were 38 and 34 degrees. A down
                sleeping bag and a Therma-rest pad did the trick. I was as warm as
                the proverbial bug-in-a-rug. Both of us snore rather loudly and we
                could put 50 feet between us without a problem.

                If you click on the photos section, check out "Ken on the Pee Dee"
                to see two of our camp sites.

                You won't regret getting a hammock. I now have four. -Ken

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tell you later"