I've done it now.

  • tell you later
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
      Well I just stuck my neck (more accurately my credit card) out and
      ordered a Hennessey Hammock to use on an upcoming canoe trip to
      Quetico Provincial Park in Ontario. I've never slept in one before
      but plan on "practicing" a couple of times prior to the trip.

      I've enjoyed reading this group's posts and your on-line camaraderie.

      I am hoping that with the purchase of this hammock, my paddling
      partners will all get a better night's rest as I snore rather loudly
      and now will be able to set up away from their tent sites. I also
      look forward to more options for, and the reported speed of, set up.

      In all of my paddling career on lakes and rivers around the country,
      I've never run accross anybody using a hammock for overnight
      sleeping. Is this just a backpacker thing, or what?

      Best to all, and Thanx.
    • Chet Clocksin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
        I have been paddling most of my life, and until I started backpacking, I never heard of anyone using a hammock either. Now my hammock always goes with me in the dry bag whenever I take the kayak (or canoe) out if there is even a chance of an extended shore visit. Its great for camping, and its great as a comfortable seat / lounger during a paddling break. I'm sure you'll be happy you invested in the hammock. Have a great trip!

        Chet

        >all of my paddling career on lakes and rivers around the country,
        >I've never run accross anybody using a hammock for overnight
        >sleeping. Is this just a backpacker thing, or what?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here
      • Chuck Haak
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
          tell you later wrote

          In all of my paddling career on lakes and rivers around the country,
          I've never run accross anybody using a hammock for overnight
          sleeping. Is this just a backpacker thing, or what?

          Tell Ya,
          I am a backpacker and a paddler. In January I used my homemade Speer on
          the Perkinsville stretch of the Verde River in central Arizona. Despite
          temps in the high 30s, it was so cozy and comfortable that I had a hard
          time convincing myself to get out of bed in the morning. I strung the
          Speer between two mesquite trees. Finding suitable trees can be an issue
          in Arizona, however.

          Pbmoo4
        • heimlichfamily@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
            I'm both a paddler and hiker and I found out about HH hammocks from a pair of paddlers who swear by them.  I got one and use it on hiking and paddling trips and car camping.  My old bones should never have slept on the ground, but who knew?

            I'm kind of a lurker on this list, but enjoy your ingenuity and obvious urge to tinker.

            Ralph Heimlich

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1 3:59 AM
              I'm a backcountry off-trail hiker and long distance
              pond hopping Hornbeck canoe portager. Some of the
              places I go are pretty rough when it comes to finding
              a place to sleep. In the past I've many times
              frustratingly spent over an hour searching for any
              tiny reasonably flat spot to place my solo tent that
              was not either wet or covered with deadfall or full of
              upturned roots. Now that I'm hammocked instead of
              hummocked, all I need look for is 2 trees, what is
              beneath is of little concern. A pretty easy task here
              in the northeast.

              Hammocking has radically changed my perspective in
              campsite selection and increased my late afternoon
              exploration time considerably. Enough so that I can
              make it to that next pond late in the day without
              worry about finding a place to sleep.

              "Paddle" Paul

              --- heimlichfamily@... wrote:
              > I'm both a paddler and hiker and I found out about
              > HH hammocks from a pair of paddlers who swear by
              > them. I got one and use it on hiking and paddling
              > trips and car camping. My old bones should never
              > have slept on the ground, but who knew?
              >
              > I'm kind of a lurker on this list, but enjoy your
              > ingenuity and obvious urge to tinker.
              >
              > Ralph Heimlich

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • Lenny Nichols
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1 7:11 AM

                I was looking for something lightweight and got a Hennessy Hammock. I found it to be so comfortable, that even if it wasn't lighter than my tent, I'd be using it. Enjoy!

                Lenny Nichols

              • ciyd01
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1 9:27 AM
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Paul <nessmuk91@y...> wrote:
                  > Now that I'm hammocked instead of
                  > hummocked, all I need look for is 2 trees, what is
                  > beneath is of little concern. A pretty easy task here
                  > in the northeast.

                  Take it from me, you do need to look at what is beneath. Nothing
                  like an azalea branch sticking you in the butt or the back to remind
                  you of that. ;-) My first few site selections left something to be
                  desired.

                  Seriously, Paul is right, the only thing you have to watch out for is
                  small shrubs directly under the hammock. I've pitched my HH on very
                  steep hillsides where there were no flat spots or the one or two
                  flatt-ish spots were left for those poor suckers who insist on
                  sleeping on the ground - and spent the night sliding downhill in
                  their tents.

                  You are going to love your HH. For warm weather, you don't need as
                  much under insulation and you can use your sleeping bag as a quilt.
                  Try it out in the backyard get your sleeping system set.

                  Have fun!
                  ciyd
                • Ken Harmon
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 1 6:28 PM
                    Back in April a friend and I kayaked down a river for 135 miles. We
                    camped out 4 nights along the way. I used a HH Asym and my friend
                    had an old canvas hammock. Two of the nights the temps were in the
                    upper 40's and the other two nights were 38 and 34 degrees. A down
                    sleeping bag and a Therma-rest pad did the trick. I was as warm as
                    the proverbial bug-in-a-rug. Both of us snore rather loudly and we
                    could put 50 feet between us without a problem.

                    If you click on the photos section, check out "Ken on the Pee Dee"
                    to see two of our camp sites.

                    You won't regret getting a hammock. I now have four. -Ken

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tell you later"