Re:4.3oz Hammock

  • Gregg Spoering
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 29, 2004
      Shane,
      Could you recap the whipped end hammock briefly? Is this hennessy style or something different? I had a bout of bouncing emails and I'm lost on this subject
      Thanks
      Gregg

      "Mirage" <mirage@...> wrote:
      I got a few hours to play around with the whipped end hammock idea a
      few folks have been playing with and ended up with a 4.3oz (not
      counting the hang ropes/straps) hammock.

      It is made from a 4'x8' piece of 1.9oz nylon ripstop (Joann's Fabric
      cheapo speacial) and 1/8" braided nylon rope for the whipping.

      I hemmed the ends and sides with a rolled hemp, whipped the ends
      with about 1.5" of whipping.  The hang straps are then attached with
      a larks head to the hammock on the "inside" end of the whipping (not
      on then whipping).

      I also made a bugnet from 8' of netting (54" width I believe) with a
      grosgrain ridge line and loops at the ends.  The short ends have
      hook and loop to close them over the hammock straps.  This weights
      in at 4.8oz (sans tie lines)

      I slept in it last night and slept well.  Lows over night were about
      55*F, no wind.  I slept with my homemade under/over (peapod style)
      quilt, mostly open, fleece pants (over kill, I was WARM), calpaline
      long sleeve and a fleece vest.  Bug neeting does hold warmth.

      My sleep/shelter system breaks down to this now:

      Tarp: 12.6oz
      Bugnet: 4.8oz
      Hammock: 4.3oz
      UnderQuilt: 44oz (Primaloft) 33oz (Down)
      4 Stakes: 2.8oz

      Total: 68.5oz (4.28lbs) or 57.5oz (3.59lbs) for the down bag.

      Again, this does not count tielines and hang straps/ropes.  I still
      gotta weight those.

      Shane "Mirage"...

    • Mirage
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 30, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Gregg Spoering <gspoerin@s...> wrote:
        > Shane,
        > Could you recap the whipped end hammock briefly? Is this hennessy style
        > or something different? I had a bout of bouncing emails and I'm lost on
        > this subject
        > Thanks
        > Gregg

        Gregg,

        I'll get some pics up later in the week, but here is an attempt to explain it. This is
        based off the basic Speer design, but narrower and instead of the overhand knot, we
        whipp the ends.

        1. Cut your fabric to desired lenght (2 feet longer than you).
        2. Hem the ends and edges with a rolled hem (or whatever).
        3. Gather (as per the speer method) or fold (as per the Hennessy method) the short
        end of the hammock fabric. You'll want to end up with no more than 1" width, it will
        be easier to work with.
        4. Tie, pinch, or bind the end so you can free both hands for the whipping.
        5. Being sure to make the whipping VERY tight, tie/wrap a whipping such as
        http://www.inquiry.net/images/whip.jpg to the end, just inside the hemmed edge of
        the end.
        6. Once the whipping is done, be sure to pull the end that was wrapped under, such
        that the working end gets folded and pulled into the binding.
        7. Attach your hang ropes/straps as desired. I use a larks head.

        That's it.

        The criticle part is hemming the ends. This is what prevents the whipping from
        slidding off. Thanks to Rick and others for discovering this. My prior attempts were
        all failing w/in 30 minutes of use because there was not enought material thickness
        to bind the whipping and prevent it from slipping off. I had a few bruises ;)

        Shane "Mirage"...
      • gerzson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1 3:51 AM
          >The criticle part is hemming the ends. This is what prevents the whipping from
          >slidding off. Thanks to Rick and others for discovering this. My prior attempts were
          >all failing w/in 30 minutes of use because there was not enought material thickness
          >to bind the whipping and prevent it from slipping off. I had a few bruises ;)
          >
          >Shane "Mirage"...

          I have used a thin (2-3 mm) bungee cord for the whipping.
          Also put the suspension cord with a stopper knot between the material
          folds.
          It seems to hold well.

          __o
          _`\<,_
          (*)/ (*)
        • Gregg Spoering
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1 5:41 AM
            Thanks Shane,
            I might give this a try to shave a bit of weight off my latest hamock-
            1.1 oz (uncoated silnylon) double bottom Speer/ Risk style. With bug net
            and homemade poncho tarp (larger that the extended Equinox, I'm 6'3")
            and including snakeskins, I have it down to 2.12 lbs. If I can lose the
            weight of the hammock knots, I'll be happy.(getting compulsive here...).
            Will probably change the poly straps to some spectra line and use my
            Hennessy tree huggers.
            Gregg

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2 10:50 AM
              wrote:
              > The criticle part is hemming the ends. This is what prevents the
              > whipping from
              > slidding off. Thanks to Rick and others for discovering this. My
              prior
              > attempts were
              > all failing w/in 30 minutes of use because there was not enought
              > material thickness
              > to bind the whipping and prevent it from slipping off. I had a few
              > bruises ;)

              If you make the hem-over large enough to slide an old bit of rope
              through, it will bulk-up the end even further. (Gives ya something
              to do with that old rope that didn't work out for hammocking...)

              Doug Frost