Re: Strapping

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 28, 2004
      <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
      > While not an ultralighter yet, I'm not into heavy weight either.
      > Although something to slow down my scouts wouldn't be all bad.
      >
      > Besides the stuff on their website the surplus store has a big
      rack
      > of raw strapping. What I'm really after is a feel for how small of
      > webbing size can I go for? and conversly how cheap can I get it.
      > Most of their stuff was $1.50 per lb.
      > I did read in Ed's (excellent) book about the stretchyness of nylon
      > but is enough to really cause problems. (Will you be a ground
      > dweller in the morning?
      > If I can find some specs on it how much strength is enough? How
      much
      > is overkill? Dead weight on a hammock rope is around 400 lbs. Is
      > double enough?
      > I was hoping to find someone with some experience.
      > Barring that I'll pick up a few chunks and try em out on my
      backyard
      > test bed.
      > My purpose is to help a dozen scouts build their own hammocks so
      > cost is probably more important than grams right now.
      >
      > Ralph

      Most people do fine with the 1" poly webbing that you can get from
      questoutfitters.com or owfinc.com. The med. weight webbing from the
      former is 45ยข per yard, which works out to about $1.50 for a 10 foot
      length. (You'll want to buy a bunch at once to save on shipping
      though.)

      Also see Ed Speer's message above on this topic.

      Doug Frost