Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Strapping

  • Thomas Peltier@Goldenautomotive.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25, 2004
      I found some seatbelt webbing that is very wide and flat. I have been
      using this for my tree huggers lately. Very wide and not stretchy,
      works well as a tree hugger.

      "besides the stuff on their website the surplus store has a big rack
      of raw strapping. What I'm really after is a feel for how small of a
      webbing size can I go for? and conversly how cheap can I get it.
      Most of their stuff was $1.50 per lb"
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 28, 2004
        <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
        > While not an ultralighter yet, I'm not into heavy weight either.
        > Although something to slow down my scouts wouldn't be all bad.
        >
        > Besides the stuff on their website the surplus store has a big
        rack
        > of raw strapping. What I'm really after is a feel for how small of
        > webbing size can I go for? and conversly how cheap can I get it.
        > Most of their stuff was $1.50 per lb.
        > I did read in Ed's (excellent) book about the stretchyness of nylon
        > but is enough to really cause problems. (Will you be a ground
        > dweller in the morning?
        > If I can find some specs on it how much strength is enough? How
        much
        > is overkill? Dead weight on a hammock rope is around 400 lbs. Is
        > double enough?
        > I was hoping to find someone with some experience.
        > Barring that I'll pick up a few chunks and try em out on my
        backyard
        > test bed.
        > My purpose is to help a dozen scouts build their own hammocks so
        > cost is probably more important than grams right now.
        >
        > Ralph

        Most people do fine with the 1" poly webbing that you can get from
        questoutfitters.com or owfinc.com. The med. weight webbing from the
        former is 45ยข per yard, which works out to about $1.50 for a 10 foot
        length. (You'll want to buy a bunch at once to save on shipping
        though.)

        Also see Ed Speer's message above on this topic.

        Doug Frost