4.3oz Hammock

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 28, 2004
      I got a few hours to play around with the whipped end hammock idea a
      few folks have been playing with and ended up with a 4.3oz (not
      counting the hang ropes/straps) hammock.

      It is made from a 4'x8' piece of 1.9oz nylon ripstop (Joann's Fabric
      cheapo speacial) and 1/8" braided nylon rope for the whipping.

      I hemmed the ends and sides with a rolled hemp, whipped the ends
      with about 1.5" of whipping. The hang straps are then attached with
      a larks head to the hammock on the "inside" end of the whipping (not
      on then whipping).

      I also made a bugnet from 8' of netting (54" width I believe) with a
      grosgrain ridge line and loops at the ends. The short ends have
      hook and loop to close them over the hammock straps. This weights
      in at 4.8oz (sans tie lines)

      I slept in it last night and slept well. Lows over night were about
      55*F, no wind. I slept with my homemade under/over (peapod style)
      quilt, mostly open, fleece pants (over kill, I was WARM), calpaline
      long sleeve and a fleece vest. Bug neeting does hold warmth.

      My sleep/shelter system breaks down to this now:

      Tarp: 12.6oz
      Bugnet: 4.8oz
      Hammock: 4.3oz
      UnderQuilt: 44oz (Primaloft) 33oz (Down)
      4 Stakes: 2.8oz

      Total: 68.5oz (4.28lbs) or 57.5oz (3.59lbs) for the down bag.

      Again, this does not count tielines and hang straps/ropes. I still
      gotta weight those.

      Shane "Mirage"...
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28, 2004
        Shane,

        Something is not adding up, a 4'x8' piece of 1.9 oz ripstop nylon
        would weigh in at 6.8 oz. If it was 1.1 oz ripstop nylon it would be
        3.9 oz. Think maybe you are using 1.1 oz material?

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
        > I got a few hours to play around with the whipped end hammock idea
        > few folks have been playing with and ended up with a 4.3oz (not
        > counting the hang ropes/straps) hammock.
        >
        > It is made from a 4'x8' piece of 1.9oz nylon ripstop (Joann's
        Fabric
        > cheapo speacial) and 1/8" braided nylon rope for the whipping.
        >
        > I hemmed the ends and sides with a rolled hemp, whipped the ends
        > with about 1.5" of whipping. The hang straps are then attached
        with
        > a larks head to the hammock on the "inside" end of the whipping
        (not
        > on then whipping).
        >
        > I also made a bugnet from 8' of netting (54" width I believe) with
        > grosgrain ridge line and loops at the ends. The short ends have
        > hook and loop to close them over the hammock straps. This weights
        > in at 4.8oz (sans tie lines)
        >
        > I slept in it last night and slept well. Lows over night were
        about
        > 55*F, no wind. I slept with my homemade under/over (peapod style)
        > quilt, mostly open, fleece pants (over kill, I was WARM), calpaline
        > long sleeve and a fleece vest. Bug neeting does hold warmth.
        >
        > My sleep/shelter system breaks down to this now:
        >
        > Tarp: 12.6oz
        > Bugnet: 4.8oz
        > Hammock: 4.3oz
        > UnderQuilt: 44oz (Primaloft) 33oz (Down)
        > 4 Stakes: 2.8oz
        >
        > Total: 68.5oz (4.28lbs) or 57.5oz (3.59lbs) for the down bag.
        >
        > Again, this does not count tielines and hang straps/ropes. I still
        > gotta weight those.
        >
        > Shane "Mirage"...
      • Mirage
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 28, 2004
          > Shane,
          >
          > Something is not adding up, a 4'x8' piece of 1.9 oz ripstop nylon
          > would weigh in at 6.8 oz. If it was 1.1 oz ripstop nylon it would
          be
          > 3.9 oz. Think maybe you are using 1.1 oz material?

          I suppose you may be correct. To be honest, the fabric did not have
          a listed weight so I was "guestimating" it to be 1.9oz. Joann's
          does not typically carry the lighter weight tech fabric like the
          1.1ox ripstop.

          Yet still, remember that a sq yd of fabric is not really "square",
          but 1 yard of fabric at bolt width, or 60" in this case. so 1 sq yd
          of this fabric was 2160 sq in (60"x36"). My piece was 4608 sq in
          (96"x48"), or 2.13 sq yd (4608/2160 = 2.13). At 1.9oz/sq yd, my
          piece would weight in at 4.05oz.

          Using 1.1oz should yield a body weight of 2.34oz, plus whipping.

          Pretty sure I did that right, but I am open to correction.

          Shane "Mirage"...
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 28, 2004
            Shane,

            All of the 1.1 oz and 1.9 oz rip-stop nylon that I have weighs 1.1
            oz/sq yd and 1.9 oz/sq yd, respectively, and a 4'x8' piece would be
            32 sq ft or 3.56 sq yd (32/9 = 3.56). When I buy rip-stop nylon and
            don't know the fabic weight per square yard, I measure the length,
            width, weight and then compute the oz/sq yd. In your case, if a
            4'x8' piece weighs 4.05 oz, then that computes to 1.14 oz/sq yd and I
            would reason that you are using 1.1 oz/sq yd rip-stop nylon instead
            of 1.9 oz/sq yd rip-stop nylon. It is my understanding that the
            Hennessy Hammock racer series of hammocks use 1.1 oz rip-stop nylon
            for the hammock bed.

            Youngblood

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:

            > I suppose you may be correct. To be honest, the fabric did not
            have
            > a listed weight so I was "guestimating" it to be 1.9oz. Joann's
            > does not typically carry the lighter weight tech fabric like the
            > 1.1ox ripstop.
            >
            > Yet still, remember that a sq yd of fabric is not really "square",
            > but 1 yard of fabric at bolt width, or 60" in this case. so 1 sq
            yd
            > of this fabric was 2160 sq in (60"x36"). My piece was 4608 sq in
            > (96"x48"), or 2.13 sq yd (4608/2160 = 2.13). At 1.9oz/sq yd, my
            > piece would weight in at 4.05oz.
            >
            > Using 1.1oz should yield a body weight of 2.34oz, plus whipping.
            >
            > Pretty sure I did that right, but I am open to correction.
            >
            > Shane "Mirage"...
          • Brian MacMillin
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 28, 2004
              That is not true. This is taken from OWFINC's site:

              Fabric weights listed are generally by the square yd (36x36) although we
              SELL by the linear yard (generally 36x60)

              So a 60" piece of fabric would weigh 1.66 times as much as the listed
              weight. (60\36=1.66).

              Best regards,
              Brian MacMillin
              OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
              Oes #@# hvc.rr.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 28, 2004
                > Shane,
                >
                > All of the 1.1 oz and 1.9 oz rip-stop nylon that I have weighs 1.1
                > oz/sq yd and 1.9 oz/sq yd, respectively, and a 4'x8' piece would
                be
                > 32 sq ft or 3.56 sq yd (32/9 = 3.56). When I buy rip-stop nylon
                and
                > don't know the fabic weight per square yard, I measure the length,
                > width, weight and then compute the oz/sq yd. In your case, if a
                > 4'x8' piece weighs 4.05 oz, then that computes to 1.14 oz/sq yd
                and I
                > would reason that you are using 1.1 oz/sq yd rip-stop nylon
                instead
                > of 1.9 oz/sq yd rip-stop nylon. It is my understanding that the
                > Hennessy Hammock racer series of hammocks use 1.1 oz rip-stop
                nylon
                > for the hammock bed.
                >
                > Youngblood
                >

                > > Pretty sure I did that right, but I am open to correction.
                > >
                > > Shane "Mirage"...

                I stand most humbly corrected.

                Shane "Mirage"...
              • seuss910
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 28, 2004
                  Traditionally, fabric "weights" are given in terms of a "sailmaker's
                  yard" which is 36 inches long but only 30 inches wide (1080 sq. in.)
                  and before the addition of any kind of fabric coating (most of the Jo-
                  Ann's ripstops have some light coating). In practice, a square yard
                  of nominally 1.1 oz. ripstop with urethane DWR can weigh upwards of 2
                  oz.

                  If you REALLY want to confuse matters, try expressing your fabric
                  weight in terms of grams/sq. cm.

                  s.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:

                  > I suppose you may be correct. To be honest, the fabric did not
                  have
                  > a listed weight so I was "guestimating" it to be 1.9oz. Joann's
                  > does not typically carry the lighter weight tech fabric like the
                  > 1.1ox ripstop.
                  >
                  > Yet still, remember that a sq yd of fabric is not really "square",
                  > but 1 yard of fabric at bolt width, or 60" in this case. so 1 sq
                  yd
                  > of this fabric was 2160 sq in (60"x36"). My piece was 4608 sq in
                  > (96"x48"), or 2.13 sq yd (4608/2160 = 2.13). At 1.9oz/sq yd, my
                  > piece would weight in at 4.05oz.
                  >
                  > Using 1.1oz should yield a body weight of 2.34oz, plus whipping.
                  >
                  > Pretty sure I did that right, but I am open to correction.
                  >
                  > Shane "Mirage"...
                • Gregg Spoering

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 30, 2004
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Gregg Spoering <gspoerin@s...> wrote:
                      > Shane,
                      > Could you recap the whipped end hammock briefly? Is this hennessy style
                      > or something different? I had a bout of bouncing emails and I'm lost on
                      > this subject
                      > Thanks
                      > Gregg

                      Gregg,

                      I'll get some pics up later in the week, but here is an attempt to explain it. This is
                      based off the basic Speer design, but narrower and instead of the overhand knot, we
                      whipp the ends.

                      1. Cut your fabric to desired lenght (2 feet longer than you).
                      2. Hem the ends and edges with a rolled hem (or whatever).
                      3. Gather (as per the speer method) or fold (as per the Hennessy method) the short
                      end of the hammock fabric. You'll want to end up with no more than 1" width, it will
                      be easier to work with.
                      4. Tie, pinch, or bind the end so you can free both hands for the whipping.
                      5. Being sure to make the whipping VERY tight, tie/wrap a whipping such as
                      http://www.inquiry.net/images/whip.jpg to the end, just inside the hemmed edge of
                      the end.
                      6. Once the whipping is done, be sure to pull the end that was wrapped under, such
                      that the working end gets folded and pulled into the binding.
                      7. Attach your hang ropes/straps as desired. I use a larks head.

                      That's it.

                      The criticle part is hemming the ends. This is what prevents the whipping from
                      slidding off. Thanks to Rick and others for discovering this. My prior attempts were
                      all failing w/in 30 minutes of use because there was not enought material thickness
                      to bind the whipping and prevent it from slipping off. I had a few bruises ;)

                      Shane "Mirage"...
                    • gerzson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 1 3:51 AM
                        >The criticle part is hemming the ends. This is what prevents the whipping from
                        >slidding off. Thanks to Rick and others for discovering this. My prior attempts were
                        >all failing w/in 30 minutes of use because there was not enought material thickness
                        >to bind the whipping and prevent it from slipping off. I had a few bruises ;)
                        >
                        >Shane "Mirage"...

                        I have used a thin (2-3 mm) bungee cord for the whipping.
                        Also put the suspension cord with a stopper knot between the material
                        folds.
                        It seems to hold well.

                        __o
                        _`\<,_
                        (*)/ (*)
                      • Gregg Spoering
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 1 5:41 AM
                          Thanks Shane,
                          I might give this a try to shave a bit of weight off my latest hamock-
                          1.1 oz (uncoated silnylon) double bottom Speer/ Risk style. With bug net
                          and homemade poncho tarp (larger that the extended Equinox, I'm 6'3")
                          and including snakeskins, I have it down to 2.12 lbs. If I can lose the
                          weight of the hammock knots, I'll be happy.(getting compulsive here...).
                          Will probably change the poly straps to some spectra line and use my
                          Hennessy tree huggers.
                          Gregg

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 2 10:50 AM
                            wrote:
                            > The criticle part is hemming the ends. This is what prevents the
                            > whipping from
                            > slidding off. Thanks to Rick and others for discovering this. My
                            prior
                            > attempts were
                            > all failing w/in 30 minutes of use because there was not enought
                            > material thickness
                            > to bind the whipping and prevent it from slipping off. I had a few
                            > bruises ;)

                            If you make the hem-over large enough to slide an old bit of rope
                            through, it will bulk-up the end even further. (Gives ya something
                            to do with that old rope that didn't work out for hammocking...)

                            Doug Frost