Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Strapping

  • Thomas Peltier@Goldenautomotive.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25, 2004
      I found some seatbelt webbing that is very wide and flat. I have been
      using this for my tree huggers lately. Very wide and not stretchy,
      works well as a tree hugger.

      "besides the stuff on their website the surplus store has a big rack
      of raw strapping. What I'm really after is a feel for how small of a
      webbing size can I go for? and conversly how cheap can I get it.
      Most of their stuff was $1.50 per lb"
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 28, 2004
        This issue of proper webbing straps can be quite complex and confusing--but
        it's a good topic for our list and thanks to everyone who has posted. I
        though I might be able to help the discussion. As some of you know, In my
        Hammock Camping book I recommend using 1" heavyweight polypropylene webbing
        with breaking strength of at least 600 lbs for making your own hammock--we
        use 700 lb polypro at Speer Hammocks. The issue of safety is of critical
        concern when it comes to hanging straps and I discuss this at length in the
        book. Be aware that not all 1" polypro webbing has the same breaking
        strength--some is as little as 200 lbs! However the strength is not the
        only consideration--type of stretch is also most important; for instance
        nylon is stronger & has less stretch, but has an unsuitable type of stretch.
        I've settled on heavy-weight 1" polypro for static loads up to 250 lbs and
        1.5" polypro for loads up to 350 lbs. My original Speer Hammock has over
        4,500 hours of use--that's 560 nights! And it doen't show any sign of
        failure--the straps are still working just fine!

        It is impossible for me to evaluate the breaking strenght of webbing simply
        by looking at it. In fact, I can't even tell what it's made of simply by
        looking at it--nylon, polypro or polyster; they all look the same. While
        there are certainly lots of suitable webbings out there, I'm always looking
        for the greatest strength, lightest weight, lest bulk and proper type of
        stretch. In the book, I caution about accepting the breaking strength of
        webbing as given by salespersons--they often don't know and make up numbers
        just to get you to buy--if you don't belive this, just ask the same sales
        clerk a few months later; you're likely to get a different number. If I
        can't find the breaking or tensil strength on the original manufacturer's
        packaging, I don't buy it!

        One other point, some polyester webbing is even better than polypro or nylon
        since it is stronger and has no stretch, but it's not readily available in
        anything less than special orders of 5,000' or more. While polyester also
        comes in varying breaking strengths, I've seen some 1" w/ 960 lb strength
        that's very good--however, I no longer can get it.

        Of course, many ropes have acceptable stretch and breaking strengths, but we
        don’t use them at Speer Hammocks because round ropes can easily bruse the
        bark of young trees since they can roll or creep down the tree under load of
        the occupied hammock.

        Another caution, all webbing can be damaged by exposure to
        sunlight--polypro, nylon or polyester! Polypro is probably the best in this
        regard, but even it too should be protected as much as possible from direct
        sunlight.

        Hope this helps....Ed
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 28, 2004
          Quoting Ralph Oborn <polecatpop@...>:

          > Yup, that particular post was the kicker that got me started, even
          > though you guys think I've gone over to the dark side. Thanks.

          Dark side? No! Not unless you have started sleeping in the mud again.

          Risk
        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 28, 2004
            <polecatpop@y...> wrote:
            > While not an ultralighter yet, I'm not into heavy weight either.
            > Although something to slow down my scouts wouldn't be all bad.
            >
            > Besides the stuff on their website the surplus store has a big
            rack
            > of raw strapping. What I'm really after is a feel for how small of
            > webbing size can I go for? and conversly how cheap can I get it.
            > Most of their stuff was $1.50 per lb.
            > I did read in Ed's (excellent) book about the stretchyness of nylon
            > but is enough to really cause problems. (Will you be a ground
            > dweller in the morning?
            > If I can find some specs on it how much strength is enough? How
            much
            > is overkill? Dead weight on a hammock rope is around 400 lbs. Is
            > double enough?
            > I was hoping to find someone with some experience.
            > Barring that I'll pick up a few chunks and try em out on my
            backyard
            > test bed.
            > My purpose is to help a dozen scouts build their own hammocks so
            > cost is probably more important than grams right now.
            >
            > Ralph

            Most people do fine with the 1" poly webbing that you can get from
            questoutfitters.com or owfinc.com. The med. weight webbing from the
            former is 45¢ per yard, which works out to about $1.50 for a 10 foot
            length. (You'll want to buy a bunch at once to save on shipping
            though.)

            Also see Ed Speer's message above on this topic.

            Doug Frost