RE: [Hammock Camping] Digest Number 562

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2004
      Message
      Hi Sue, glad you're going to make the hammock hangers campout in Sep.  The orange no-tangle cord on my rain canopy is excellent--many folks contact me for more.  While I do sell it on my web site, I also give two common sources in my book (p. 131).  Try Boat US or West Marine, both have numerous retail stores and web sites....Ed

      www.boatus.com   item #102218
      www.westmarine.com  Model #543861

      Date: 06/27/04 05:47:48
      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Digest Number 562

      There are 10 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

            1. Re: [Spam:0006 SpamScore] Knots are posted...
                 From: "hogn8r2004" <hogn8r2004@...>
            2. RE: [Spam:0006 SpamScore] Re: [Spam:0006 SpamScore] Knots are posted...
                 From: "Patrick Harper" <pharper@...>
            3. 2 hammocks, Speer 8.5 and HH Safari Deluxe, 1car-2tree setup
                 From: "Dan Chase" <chase@...>
            4. RE: 2 hammocks, Speer 8.5 and HH Safari Deluxe, 1car-2tree setup
                 From: "Ed Speer" <info@...>
            5. Re: 2 hammocks, Speer 8.5 and HH Safari Deluxe, 1car-2tree setup
                 From: "Dan Chase" <chase@...>
            6. Strapping
                 From: "Ralph Oborn" <polecatpop@...>
            7. [Spam:0006 SpamScore] Re: [Spam:0006 SpamScore] Knots are posted...
                 From: "hogn8r2004" <hogn8r2004@...>
            8. Re: 2 hammocks, Speer 8.5 and HH Safari Deluxe, 1car-2tree setup
                 From: "Kim Muller" <kim004@...>
            9. Re: Knots are posted...
                 From: Matthew Takeda <takeda@...>
           10. Re: Strapping
                 From: Rick <ra1@...>

      Message: 1
         Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:38:53 -0000
         From: "hogn8r2004" <hogn8r2004@...>
      Subject: Re: [Spam:0006 SpamScore] Knots are posted...

      Not a problem, I understood and had a good laugh at the same time.
      However, I have some good sea going pics I was gonna post for the
      reply, if I ever find 'em I will post a few for a while.

      Message: 2
         Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:47:54 -0500
         From: "Patrick Harper" <pharper@...>
      Subject: RE: [Spam:0006 SpamScore] Re: [Spam:0006 SpamScore] Knots are posted...

      Here is somebody that might be doing a knot or two...

      art_2&Picture=3ju3060.jpg

        Not a problem, I understood and had a good laugh at the same time.
        However, I have some good sea going pics I was gonna post for the
        reply, if I ever find 'em I will post a few for a while.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
         Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:34:19 -0000
         From: "Dan Chase" <chase@...>
      Subject: 2 hammocks, Speer 8.5 and HH Safari Deluxe, 1car-2tree setup

      Hi Ed and all,
      This is my first post here. I've been reading every message since
      July 19 last year, (that's well over 3,000 posts in just under a
      year), and I wanted to say thanks to Ed and the rest of you folks
      for making this site such a valuable resource. It's the best place
      I've found for learning all about hammock camping.

        I started hammock camping last september, when I spent 15 nights in
      a row in my HH expedition 2.5, trying various setups, pads, etc. and
      that was enough to convince me that hammocks are better than
      sleeping on the ground in tents for me, especially for backpacking.

        I spent a week backpacking and camping in the Wyandotte Woods area
      of Indiana around Haloween last year in my HH Safari Deluxe,and in
      my HH expedition 2.5. during that week I had a great time with about
      25 other cavers on a annual Halloween weekend campout. Several of
      them were interested in the hammocks, and only one other person had
      a regular camping hammock with a bugnet.

        I spent 3 weeks in April and May backpacking and hammock camping in
      Hoosier National Forest. A hammock nite in June at the Indiana Cave
      Capers get-together was the latest hang time.

      Yesterday I recieved my first Speer Hammock and am having fun
      testing it out. My wife, Anna, likes the Speer better because of the
      top opening removable bugnet. She says it's less claustrophobic than
      the HH. I set up the Speer 8.5 and the HH Safari Deluxe side-by-side
      tied off to the car's seat belt anchor on the other side and over
      the top of the car, with the other ends out to two trees about 5
      feet apart. It's the first time I've used a car to tie off from.
      works fine. I am thinking of trying variations on this setup using a
      pole and a stake in place of the car. Some pics are posted in the
      dancaveman album in the photos section.

      Thank you all again for the fun hammockcamping group discussiion
      list.

      Dan Chase

      Message: 4
         Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:42:58 -0400
         From: "Ed Speer" <info@...>

      Hi Dan and thanks for posting.  Glad you like the hammock.  That car-hammock
      set up sounds interesting.  I will be selling hammocks at the NSS convention
      in MI in July--will you be there?  If you are, be sure and stop by to say
      Hi....Ed

      Message: 5
         Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:39:45 -0000
         From: "Dan Chase" <chase@...>

      Hi Ed,

      Yes, the car-tree setup was good.
      Anna and I will be at the NSS convention, and will look you up. We
      pre-registered many weeks ago. I was planning on getting a Speer 8.5
      hammock from you there at the convention, but I was lucky enough to
      get one on eBay last week. I'll stop by and say Hi! in July, in da
      yoop.

      Dan

      Message: 6
         Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:40:54 -0000
         From: "Ralph Oborn" <polecatpop@...>
      Subject: Strapping

      While perusing a Army-Navy store in Idaho Falls, I saw a bunch of
      straps and stuff

      What is the difference between nylon and poly strap, which is best
      for hammock strapping?

      How do I decide what will hold?

      Any suggestions?

      Prices seem to good to pass up, what am I missing?

      Ralph
      PS Just got back from camping with my scouts in my HH, thanks for
      suggestion of hooking ensolite pad to ridgeline.

      Message: 7
         Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 04:09:13 -0000
         From: "hogn8r2004" <hogn8r2004@...>

      Okay, 30 to 40 knots are up courtesy of Rob Zabroky, USCG Ret. These
      guys are NUTS, gotta love 'em! Thanks for the service Rob.

      Just to keep this on topic, I will post the mooring hitch later.

      Message: 8
         Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:48:30 -0500
         From: "Kim Muller" <kim004@...>

      I will be selling hammocks at the NSS convention in MI in July

      Ed - what is this, where is this and when? Since I'm going to be up that way, maybe it's something I can stop by and see.

      Kim

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 9
         Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:45:26 -0700
         From: Matthew Takeda <takeda@...>
      Subject: Re: Knots are posted...

      hogn8r2004 wrote:
      >Hey ya'll, I finally got some knots posted. I can only post 6
      >pictures (I guess that is normal?) So I need to rearrange a few
      >of 'em, and get the rest of the knots I am going to post down in 6
      >moves or less:)! Hope ya'll like 'em so far.

      The bitter end of the bowline should be inside the loop, and there's a much
      faster way to tie it.

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 10
         Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 05:46:39 -0400
         From: Rick <ra1@...>
      Subject: Re: Strapping

      Ralph Oborn wrote:

      >While perusing a Army-Navy store in Idaho Falls, I saw a bunch of
      >straps and stuff
      >

      >What is the difference between nylon and poly strap, which is best
      >for hammock strapping?
      >
      >How do I decide what will hold?
      >

      >Any suggestions?
      >
      >Prices seem to good to pass up, what am I missing?
      >
      >Ralph

      Nylon stretches and keeps stretching.  Poly straps stretch much less.
      Have you not yet read Ed's book Ralph?  He covers all that in detail. If
      you have not, it certainly is worth the read.

      Risk