hammock end

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2004
      I added a picture of the way I have been wrapping & tying the end of
      my hammock. (In the Ray Garlington folder).

      On the fabric, you can see the line I used to shape the end. For the
      whipping, I used a thin nylon cord and tied a series of very tight
      overhand knots starting at the cut end of the fabric and moving
      toward the center. To finish, the last overhand knot is a square
      knot. Inside of this I tied a rope using a clove hitch with a 1/2
      hitch topper.

      I haven't experienced slipping with this configuration. Perhaps
      using a rope instead of webbing adds more grip to the hammock body.

      The current hammock I'm working on is tied asymmetrically, and has
      about 3" of whipping on each end (one end is hemmed and one end
      isn't). The asym shape uses the catenary curve with a 3" sag. I'm
      not sure yet if it is worth doing the asym thing, but I think it may
      be easier to position the bottom insulation if you are only going to
      lie in the hammock one way. The body of the hammock with the
      support ropes weighs 14 oz (1 layer of fabric). I'm still working
      on the 'ideal' shell -- not a fan of in-the-hammock pads.
    • Risk
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21, 2004
        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > I added a picture of the way I have been wrapping & tying the end of
        > my hammock. (In the Ray Garlington folder).

        Thanks Ray, I see the picture. I will add a picture in a page this
        week. When I did what you did, my ripstop must have been more
        slippery, as the whipping simply was pulled off by the suspension
        webbing.