Jacks r Better Nest in the heat.......

  • simva4040
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2004
      This past Monday and Tuesday Zulu, La AquaNa and I participated in
      the BigDig, helping to advance the Cumberland Trail in TN.
      We were offered excellent air-conditioned lodging in the Dogwood
      Lodge near Soddy Daisy but declined politely telling the host that we
      preferred to 'hang out'.....
      The daily working temps/humidity were horrid- for trail building that
      is, and bedtime temps were in the low 80s to mid 70s only because we
      were so tired from handling maddocks and rock bars all day we found
      ourselves crashing hard in the hammocks the last night at 7:30pm!!
      The Nest by design is easy to adjust on the fly (not on the tarp mind
      you) so as I approached the hammock for sleep I simply released the
      toggles at each end of the underquilt and gave the foot and head end
      a lot of slack.This creates an opening that allows air to flow in
      from the head to rib area, and from the feet to the buttocks. With
      this move I still had insulation under my kidney area which I
      probably needed with a slight breeze and low nightly temps in the
      upper 50s-lower 60s.
      Not knowing if a storm would appear in the middle of the night I had
      cinched down the MacCat tighly and had little breeze in the HH, so
      sleeping naked I found good slumber. When I awoke I had a quilt on my
      lower legs only.

      Point of all of this is that The Nest has shown good variability in
      heat management. .

      I'm still awaiting Hennessey's winter solution. After its arrival I
      want to compare contrast many hammocking possibilities including:

      Speer Hammock and PeaPod with The Nest
      Hennessey Hammock with Winter Solution, with and without The Nest

      I spoke with Tom a week after TrailDays and gave him the magic VISA
      number, so hopefully in a few weeks I will have one to play with.
      I'm already looking for a friendly butcher at Food City or Krogers
      who will 'loan' me the freezer section for some low temp testing-who
      wants to wait until January?