more catenary curve fun

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
      I got tired of hanging chains and taking measurements, so I made an
      Excel spreadsheet that calculates the curve for you. It calculates
      100 points from -50 to 50, and scales to whatever units you are
      using. You enter 2 values: the horizontal distance between the
      ends of the chain, and the amount of sag you want. It is in
      the "Files" section. let me know if you see anything wrong with it.

      So far I've tried 2 different ways of using the curve on the ends of
      the hammock body. First I generated a curve with a 3" sag in 60"
      (my hammock width). I applied the entire curve from -30 to +30
      across each end of the hammock. This worked pretty well. Second I
      tried a 6" sag in 60", but only used half of it from 0 to 30. I
      applied this half-curve on each side, but on opposite halves of the
      hammock center line; thus creating an asymmetic hammock bottom.
      Seems flatter, but the hammock then wants to be a little longer. I'm
      going to try this asym technique on a 48" width hammock next. Maybe
      my wife will be able to use it.
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
        Hi Ray, For those of us out here that use a Mac
        computer and can not open an Excel spreadsheet, is
        there a way to make something that a Mac can open?
        Nothing MS works with my version of the Mac OS.

        Until then I will keep on dragging the chain.
        Thanks. Bill

        --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:
        > I got tired of hanging chains and taking
        > measurements, so I made an
        > Excel spreadsheet that calculates the curve for you.
        > It calculates
        > 100 points from -50 to 50, and scales to whatever
        > units you are
        > using. You enter 2 values: the horizontal distance
        > between the
        > ends of the chain, and the amount of sag you want.
        > It is in
        > the "Files" section. let me know if you see
        > anything wrong with it.
        >
        > So far I've tried 2 different ways of using the
        > curve on the ends of
        > the hammock body. First I generated a curve with a
        > 3" sag in 60"
        > (my hammock width). I applied the entire curve from
        > -30 to +30
        > across each end of the hammock. This worked pretty
        > well. Second I
        > tried a 6" sag in 60", but only used half of it from
        > 0 to 30. I
        > applied this half-curve on each side, but on
        > opposite halves of the
        > hammock center line; thus creating an asymmetic
        > hammock bottom.
        > Seems flatter, but the hammock then wants to be a
        > little longer. I'm
        > going to try this asym technique on a 48" width
        > hammock next. Maybe
        > my wife will be able to use it.

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • Brian MacMillin
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
          I am running Windows XP Pro, but refuse to give Microsoft anymore of my
          money, so I use OpenOffice. It is an open source version of Microsoft
          Office, and is compatable with ALL Microsoft office files. And best of
          all...its free!

          www.Openoffice.org

          Best Regards,
          Brian MacMillin
          OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
          oes@...

          Hi Ray, For those of us out here that use a Mac
          computer and can not open an Excel spreadsheet, is
          there a way to make something that a Mac can open?
          Nothing MS works with my version of the Mac OS.

          Until then I will keep on dragging the chain.
          Thanks. Bill

          --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:
          > I got tired of hanging chains and taking
          > measurements, so I made an
          > Excel spreadsheet that calculates the curve for you.
          > It calculates
          > 100 points from -50 to 50, and scales to whatever
          > units you are
          > using. You enter 2 values: the horizontal distance
          > between the
          > ends of the chain, and the amount of sag you want.
          > It is in
          > the "Files" section. let me know if you see
          > anything wrong with it.
          >
          > So far I've tried 2 different ways of using the
          > curve on the ends of
          > the hammock body. First I generated a curve with a
          > 3" sag in 60"
          > (my hammock width). I applied the entire curve from
          > -30 to +30
          > across each end of the hammock. This worked pretty
          > well. Second I
          > tried a 6" sag in 60", but only used half of it from
          > 0 to 30. I
          > applied this half-curve on each side, but on
          > opposite halves of the
          > hammock center line; thus creating an asymmetic
          > hammock bottom.
          > Seems flatter, but the hammock then wants to be a
          > little longer. I'm
          > going to try this asym technique on a 48" width
          > hammock next. Maybe
          > my wife will be able to use it.

        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
            Thanks Brian, However I am running Mac OS 9.1 and the
            OpenOffice needs Mac OS X.

            Dragging the chain around is starting to worry my
            neighbors. Maybe it is time to upgrade my operating
            system to X what ever. Thanks Bill

            --- Brian MacMillin <oes@...> wrote:
            > I am running Windows XP Pro, but refuse to give
            > Microsoft anymore of my
            > money, so I use OpenOffice. It is an open source
            > version of Microsoft
            > Office, and is compatable with ALL Microsoft office
            > files. And best of
            > all...its free!
            >
            > www.Openoffice.org
            >
            > Best Regards,
            > Brian MacMillin
            > OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
            > oes@...

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • firefly
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004

              Excel Spreadsheet = Your idea of fun!?  What a party animal you are!!  Rock on…

              Signed,

              Geek Lover

              I got tired of hanging chains and taking measurements, so I made an
              Excel spreadsheet that calculates the curve for you.

            • seuss910
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
                It's exactly my idea of fun as well. I just finished a very similar
                spreadsheet and posted it in the makegear group files area. Not quite
                as fancy as Ray's. Dammit, Ray, if you had just posted this a few
                days earlier you could have saved me hours of research on hyperbolic
                cosines.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
                  Hi seuss, It was very nice of you to post your spread
                  sheet at Make Gear. I can't open yours either. Help.
                  Is there a way to convert the spread sheet for the
                  older Mac OS? Bill

                  --- seuss910 <wrv77@...> wrote:
                  > It's exactly my idea of fun as well. I just finished
                  > a very similar
                  > spreadsheet and posted it in the makegear group
                  > files area. Not quite
                  > as fancy as Ray's. Dammit, Ray, if you had just
                  > posted this a few
                  > days earlier you could have saved me hours of
                  > research on hyperbolic
                  > cosines.
                  >

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly"
                  > <firefly@e...> wrote:
                  > > Excel Spreadsheet = Your idea of fun!? What a
                  > party animal you
                  > are!! Rock
                  > > on�
                  > > Signed,
                  > > Geek Lover
                  > >

                  > > I got tired of hanging chains and taking
                  > measurements, so I made an
                  > > Excel spreadsheet that calculates the curve for
                  > you.

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                • seuss910
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
                    What specific spreadsheet program are you using on your paleoMac?

                    <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                    > Hi seuss, It was very nice of you to post your spread
                    > sheet at Make Gear. I can't open yours either. Help.
                    > Is there a way to convert the spread sheet for the
                    > older Mac OS? Bill

                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
                      Hi, Apple Works 6 with Mac OS 9.1. Magic kite man.
                      Thank you. Bill

                      --- seuss910 <wrv77@...> wrote:
                      > What specific spreadsheet program are you using on
                      > your paleoMac?
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill
                      > Fornshell
                      > <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                      > > Hi seuss, It was very nice of you to post your
                      > spread
                      > > sheet at Make Gear. I can't open yours either.
                      > Help.
                      > > Is there a way to convert the spread sheet for
                      > the
                      > > older Mac OS? Bill

                      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                    • firefly

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 9, 2004
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@y...> wrote:
                          > if you had just posted this a few
                          > days earlier you could have saved me hours of research on
                          hyperbolic
                          > cosines.

                          Hey seuss... your research didn't go to waste (it got me going
                          anyway). I used your spreadsheet as my starting point...
                        • Ray Garlington
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 9, 2004
                            <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                            > Hi Ray, For those of us out here that use a Mac
                            > computer and can not open an Excel spreadsheet, is
                            > there a way to make something that a Mac can open?

                            I can create older versions of the sheet for excel, lotus and
                            quattro pro. Also, there is a program available that will import
                            excel spreadsheets into appleworks, but since you don't have it,,,
                            the spreadsheet is easy to make. Here's how:

                            1. Create an (input parameter) cell (over a bit ~row f) for your x
                            distance. This is your distance between the ends of the chain.

                            2. Create an (input parameter) cell for your sag distance. This is
                            the amount of sag you want in the middle of the chain.

                            3. Create a calculated cell to hold a (y value scaling factor).
                            The formula is of the form: (sag distance) / (cosh(.5)-1) Note:
                            cosh is the Excel name for the hyperbolic cosine function.

                            4. Create a column (e.g. column A) with values from -50 to 50.
                            These are your unscaled x values

                            5. Create a column next to the unscaled x values for your scaled x
                            values. The formula is of the form: (unscaled x value) / 100 * (x
                            distance) Replicate the formula for the entire column

                            6. Create a column next to the scaled X values for your scaled Y
                            values. The formula is of the form: (y scale factor)*cosh (x/100) -
                            (y scale factor) Replicate the formula for the entire column.
                            Note: the x value is from the unscaled x column (e.g. column A).

                            If you have a graph generating tool, just make an x,y scatter graph
                            using your scaled x and y values.
                          • seuss910
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 9, 2004
                              You might want to have a look at a product from dataviz called
                              MacLink Plus. OS X incorporates parts of MacLink Plus, which is how
                              it reads excel files, but it's available separately for 9.1.

                              And, just to keep this vaguely hammock related, has anybody else
                              noticed Hilton Hotels' new print ad "Take me to the therapeutic
                              HAMMOCK that hangs between two business days. Take me to the Hilton."