Re: [Hammock Camping] can't decide between HH and Speer

  • ra1@imrisk.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
      Quoting dksierra <torres3@...>:

      > I've read alot of the archives and am still having trouble deciding
      > whther to try the HH A-sym or the Speer hammock. I'm pretty cold
      > natured and would love to get something like the speer with the Pea
      > Pod (i failed sewing in jr. high school) but I wonder if I would
      > have the same discomfort in it that I have in the Clark since I am a
      > side sleeper. can one sleep fairly flat in a speer hammock or do
      > you need the A-sym feature of the HH for that?
      > Kim
      >
      > Hi Kim,

      I have used the Speer type hammock extensively. I usually sleep on my side.
      Just like the HH, there is a nice pocket on either side of the center which
      allows the feet and head to be at about the same level as the hips. This is
      accomplished by sleeping across the diagonal.

      Rick
    • dksierra
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
        thanks for the opinion! I'm a long way from NC but thanks for the
        offer to try yours as well!
        Sounds like the Speer would be good for side sleeping and won't
        require me to find someone to sew an underquilt since they have the
        Pea Pods. thanks again!
        Kim
      • dksierra
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
          I was hoping that would be the case; there are several things I like
          about the Speer design and I think that's where I will start. can
          always get a HH later if needed. Seems like everyone agrees you
          can't have too many!!
          thanks!
          Kim
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
            <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > You can be nearly flat in the Speer-style hammock. Side sleeping
            is
            > not a problem. In fact, after hearing from all the stomach
            sleepers
            > I set up mine just to try it. Well, you can position yourself on
            > your stomach, but I couldn't find a position where my faced wasn't
            > plastered up against the hammock bottom fabric. If you solved
            that,
            > you could probably get used to sleeping on your stomach, but there
            > is a slight bow (I can't get exactly flat no matter what I try).

            Ray, others,

            Just to clarify, when I said I slept on my stomach, it was not in a
            speer style hammock. While I don't mind having my face squashed
            into the side of the hammock, I haven't been able to eliminate
            the "bow" in my back on this style hammock, when on my stomach. I
            DO sleep VERY comfortably on my side in this hammock though.

            When I slept on my stomach in a hammock, it was in one much more
            like your hammock bliss. It was a Venezuelan, hand made cotton one,
            the was about 10' (yes, 10 FEET) wide and you could lay in almost
            any position, including upside down (i.e., flip the entire hammock
            over while inside, resulting in the opening, being below and my face
            down and peeking through the crack, hammock edges coming down either
            side of my head, kinda cradling it, over my collar bones and one leg
            in either side). I know it sounds very awkward and uncomfortable,
            but in that hammock, and with lots of time in it so I was not afraid
            of falling out, it worked for me.

            YMMV, so I would caution anyone from trying this until they are very
            comfortable with moving around in their hammock and are sure they
            can sleep this way. I don't want someone to get hurt, because they
            fell out sleeping this way. It takes some pratice and sleeping
            discipline.

            You definiately DO NOT want to try this in a Hennessy, and I'm not
            sure it will work in a Speer or any "camping" hammock (bug netting
            gets in the way), but works great on the big, wide and loose Mayan
            style hammocks and the like.

            Shane "Mirage"...

            PS: you've heard, "Hike your own hike", well how about this
            one, "hang your own hammock".