can't decide between HH and Speer

  • dksierra
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
      I've read alot of the archives and am still having trouble deciding
      whther to try the HH A-sym or the Speer hammock. I'm pretty cold
      natured and would love to get something like the speer with the Pea
      Pod (i failed sewing in jr. high school) but I wonder if I would
      have the same discomfort in it that I have in the Clark since I am a
      side sleeper. can one sleep fairly flat in a speer hammock or do
      you need the A-sym feature of the HH for that?
      Kim
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
        You can be nearly flat in the Speer-style hammock. Side sleeping is
        not a problem. In fact, after hearing from all the stomach sleepers
        I set up mine just to try it. Well, you can position yourself on
        your stomach, but I couldn't find a position where my faced wasn't
        plastered up against the hammock bottom fabric. If you solved that,
        you could probably get used to sleeping on your stomach, but there
        is a slight bow (I can't get exactly flat no matter what I try).

        If you are in central NC, you can try mine. I also have a HH
        expedition 2.5 and a hammock bliss double. I've been in an asym,
        but haven't spent a lot of time in one. It felt similar to the
        expedition to me, but more spacious.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dksierra" <torres3@c...>
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
          Quoting dksierra <torres3@...>:

          > I've read alot of the archives and am still having trouble deciding
          > whther to try the HH A-sym or the Speer hammock. I'm pretty cold
          > natured and would love to get something like the speer with the Pea
          > Pod (i failed sewing in jr. high school) but I wonder if I would
          > have the same discomfort in it that I have in the Clark since I am a
          > side sleeper. can one sleep fairly flat in a speer hammock or do
          > you need the A-sym feature of the HH for that?
          > Kim
          >
          > Hi Kim,

          I have used the Speer type hammock extensively. I usually sleep on my side.
          Just like the HH, there is a nice pocket on either side of the center which
          allows the feet and head to be at about the same level as the hips. This is
          accomplished by sleeping across the diagonal.

          Rick
        • dksierra
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
            thanks for the opinion! I'm a long way from NC but thanks for the
            offer to try yours as well!
            Sounds like the Speer would be good for side sleeping and won't
            require me to find someone to sew an underquilt since they have the
            Pea Pods. thanks again!
            Kim
          • dksierra
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
              I was hoping that would be the case; there are several things I like
              about the Speer design and I think that's where I will start. can
              always get a HH later if needed. Seems like everyone agrees you
              can't have too many!!
              thanks!
              Kim
            • Mirage
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 7, 2004
                <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                > You can be nearly flat in the Speer-style hammock. Side sleeping
                is
                > not a problem. In fact, after hearing from all the stomach
                sleepers
                > I set up mine just to try it. Well, you can position yourself on
                > your stomach, but I couldn't find a position where my faced wasn't
                > plastered up against the hammock bottom fabric. If you solved
                that,
                > you could probably get used to sleeping on your stomach, but there
                > is a slight bow (I can't get exactly flat no matter what I try).

                Ray, others,

                Just to clarify, when I said I slept on my stomach, it was not in a
                speer style hammock. While I don't mind having my face squashed
                into the side of the hammock, I haven't been able to eliminate
                the "bow" in my back on this style hammock, when on my stomach. I
                DO sleep VERY comfortably on my side in this hammock though.

                When I slept on my stomach in a hammock, it was in one much more
                like your hammock bliss. It was a Venezuelan, hand made cotton one,
                the was about 10' (yes, 10 FEET) wide and you could lay in almost
                any position, including upside down (i.e., flip the entire hammock
                over while inside, resulting in the opening, being below and my face
                down and peeking through the crack, hammock edges coming down either
                side of my head, kinda cradling it, over my collar bones and one leg
                in either side). I know it sounds very awkward and uncomfortable,
                but in that hammock, and with lots of time in it so I was not afraid
                of falling out, it worked for me.

                YMMV, so I would caution anyone from trying this until they are very
                comfortable with moving around in their hammock and are sure they
                can sleep this way. I don't want someone to get hurt, because they
                fell out sleeping this way. It takes some pratice and sleeping
                discipline.

                You definiately DO NOT want to try this in a Hennessy, and I'm not
                sure it will work in a Speer or any "camping" hammock (bug netting
                gets in the way), but works great on the big, wide and loose Mayan
                style hammocks and the like.

                Shane "Mirage"...

                PS: you've heard, "Hike your own hike", well how about this
                one, "hang your own hammock".