[Hammock Camping] Re: Down Air Mattress

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2004

      > I also found the trails overgrown. Worst place was the Smoky
      Mountains.

      > Like you, I mainly found places to hammock camp around established
      > campsites. However, there were plenty of places in between where
      the
      > undergrowth was sparse, and there was no poison ivy... just not
      nearly
      > so much choice as in early spring.

      Yeah, I was shocked. I had previously hiked all but the last three
      miles of Georgia since the first of the year, most of it within the
      last two months. I couldn't get to some of the places that I had
      hammock camped earlier. I had remembered a great spot on Sassafras
      Mountain that I couldn't even find/recognize. I found the scenery
      was not nearly as nice as it was prior to the green explosion... some
      of it isn't even visible now. The hiking was probably more enjoyable
      then also- its not much fun making contact with brush, grass, leaves,
      etc as you hike along, especially if it is wet. But, as usual, the
      trip was fun.

      I took along my sighting compass and had loaded the waypoints of some
      of the prominent peaks on my GPS. At overlooks, I could use the GPS
      to get the range and bearing of different peaks and then see if I had
      a line of sight to them. It was neat! At one point on Wildcat
      Mountain we had lined up from left to right: Cowrock Mountain,
      Levelland Mountain, Blood Mountain and Slaughter Mountain. I was
      even able to spot Brasstown Bald and Yonah Mountain from places I
      didn't know about (these Stone Mountain and Rabun Bald are probably
      the most recognizable peaks in Georgia). Anyhow, this is something
      that I have being playing around with for a little while and have
      been having some fun doing.

      Hey Ed, I meet a guy named Miles (?) at Low Gap Shelter that
      mentioned to me that he had done a little trail magic for Ed Speer
      when he was on the AT in 2000. I told him he ought to log on to this
      site and say 'hi'.

      Dave
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
        Don't remember him Dave, but then lots of people helped me on each of my
        hikes. Hope he signs on ans says hi....Ed