RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Nest

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

      Clark,

      Plug “MacCat” into the archives and read posts in February and March about several of us raving about them. Also, look in the photos section here. In a nutshell, they shed rain and wind much better than the HH tarp, and don’t have that obnoxious wind flap noise. The pics I posted are under gusty winds, and there was no noise.

      Marsanne

      ·
      I have seen several references to the MacCat tarp or MacTarp, but I
      can't find anything else about them. Can someone point me to some
      additional information about them? Why are you using them instead of
      the regular Hennessy rain fly?

      Thanks,
      Clark

    • ccp5655
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
        > Clark,
        > Plug "MacCat" into the archives and read posts in February and March
        about
        > several of us raving about them. Also, look in the photos section
        here. In a
        > nutshell, they shed rain and wind much better than the HH tarp, and
        don't
        > have that obnoxious wind flap noise. The pics I posted are under gusty
        > winds, and there was no noise.
        > Marsanne

        Thanks everyone. I had tried a search of the archives, but I guess I
        didn't get back far enough.

        Clark
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
          ccp5655 wrote:

          >Thanks everyone. I had tried a search of the archives, but I guess I
          >didn't get back far enough.
          >
          >Clark

          Hi Clark,

          For *much* easier long term searching of the list you might want to try:

          http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.culture.backpacking

          Rick
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

            > For *much* easier long term searching of the list you might want to try:
            >
            > http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.culture.backpacking
            >
            > Rick

            Unfortunately, I only got hammockcammping started on Gmane in early May.

            If anyone has saved the email archives from this list, I (or Rick I imagine) can get them
            imported into Gmane for our searching pleasure.

            Shane "Mirage"...
          • firefly
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

              Friends,

              It annoys me that we keep getting spammed, but here is what I have learned: The jerks that do this hit and run and don’t care if we’re mad, or if they’re banned. They only care that we respond. So it makes sense to me that we all do our best to bite our tongues, do not respond at all, and let Ed just delete and block. Maybe that will work. A computer geek friend of mine told me it should.

              Marsanne

            • Brian MacMillin
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

                And the greatest part is that it was a dead link…..

                Best Regards,

                Brian MacMillin

                OutdoorEquipmentSupplier

                oes@...

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
                  Since they send out a lot of the spam blindly (not the list ones,
                  but personal) if you respond then they now know they have a live
                  target, especiallly if you respond to their don't bother me reply.
                  Its insidious. best to grit your teeth and ignore, and never never
                  ever use any product so advertised, they only do it because it works
                  for drumming up business.
                  Ralph

                  > Friends,
                  > It annoys me that we keep getting spammed, but here is what I have
                  learned:
                  > The jerks that do this hit and run and don't care if we're mad, or
                  if they'
                  > re banned. They only care that we respond. So it makes sense to me
                  that we
                  > all do our best to bite our tongues, do not respond at all, and
                  let Ed just
                  > delete and block. Maybe that will work. A computer geek friend of
                  mine told
                  > me it should.
                  > Marsanne
                • SF Nazdarovye
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
                    I'm starting to wonder if they've cracked the Yahoo group signup
                    process with a dictionary attack (basically, signing up lots of random
                    addresses with short words from the dictionary - just like the ones
                    embedded in the graphic you have to read to sign up for a group - until
                    they get through by chance). Otherwise, someone's sure got a lot of
                    time on their hands...

                    Either way, I hope companies and the government get serious about
                    stopping spam asap - the CAN-SPAM act was a joke.