Re: Nest

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
      Brian Macmillin makes them and his email is oes@...
      For a high school kid, trying to earn money to go to college he does darn
      good work! Catenary cuts on the tarp make them more stable in the wind.
      Nancy
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy" <nafister@h...> wrote:
      > > Anyone interested in the nest by Jacks 'r' Better? I survived bad
      > rain in Indiana last weekend and stayed high and dry in my Hennessey
      > and a MacTarp.
      >
      > I have seen several references to the MacCat tarp or MacTarp, but I
      > can't find anything else about them. Can someone point me to some
      > additional information about them? Why are you using them instead of
      > the regular Hennessy rain fly?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Clark
    • firefly

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
          > Clark,
          > Plug "MacCat" into the archives and read posts in February and March
          about
          > several of us raving about them. Also, look in the photos section
          here. In a
          > nutshell, they shed rain and wind much better than the HH tarp, and
          don't
          > have that obnoxious wind flap noise. The pics I posted are under gusty
          > winds, and there was no noise.
          > Marsanne

          Thanks everyone. I had tried a search of the archives, but I guess I
          didn't get back far enough.

          Clark
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
            ccp5655 wrote:

            >Thanks everyone. I had tried a search of the archives, but I guess I
            >didn't get back far enough.
            >
            >Clark

            Hi Clark,

            For *much* easier long term searching of the list you might want to try:

            http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.culture.backpacking

            Rick
          • Mirage
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

              > For *much* easier long term searching of the list you might want to try:
              >
              > http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.culture.backpacking
              >
              > Rick

              Unfortunately, I only got hammockcammping started on Gmane in early May.

              If anyone has saved the email archives from this list, I (or Rick I imagine) can get them
              imported into Gmane for our searching pleasure.

              Shane "Mirage"...
            • firefly
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

                Friends,

                It annoys me that we keep getting spammed, but here is what I have learned: The jerks that do this hit and run and don’t care if we’re mad, or if they’re banned. They only care that we respond. So it makes sense to me that we all do our best to bite our tongues, do not respond at all, and let Ed just delete and block. Maybe that will work. A computer geek friend of mine told me it should.

                Marsanne

              • Brian MacMillin
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

                  And the greatest part is that it was a dead link…..

                  Best Regards,

                  Brian MacMillin

                  OutdoorEquipmentSupplier

                  oes@...

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
                    Since they send out a lot of the spam blindly (not the list ones,
                    but personal) if you respond then they now know they have a live
                    target, especiallly if you respond to their don't bother me reply.
                    Its insidious. best to grit your teeth and ignore, and never never
                    ever use any product so advertised, they only do it because it works
                    for drumming up business.
                    Ralph

                    > Friends,
                    > It annoys me that we keep getting spammed, but here is what I have
                    learned:
                    > The jerks that do this hit and run and don't care if we're mad, or
                    if they'
                    > re banned. They only care that we respond. So it makes sense to me
                    that we
                    > all do our best to bite our tongues, do not respond at all, and
                    let Ed just
                    > delete and block. Maybe that will work. A computer geek friend of
                    mine told
                    > me it should.
                    > Marsanne
                  • SF Nazdarovye
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
                      I'm starting to wonder if they've cracked the Yahoo group signup
                      process with a dictionary attack (basically, signing up lots of random
                      addresses with short words from the dictionary - just like the ones
                      embedded in the graphic you have to read to sign up for a group - until
                      they get through by chance). Otherwise, someone's sure got a lot of
                      time on their hands...

                      Either way, I hope companies and the government get serious about
                      stopping spam asap - the CAN-SPAM act was a joke.