RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Nest

  • Brian MacMillin
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
      Here is are 2 links about my MacCat tarps and pictures. I will soon be
      getting a "real" address, and hopefully make them available directly on
      the website.

      www.geocities.com/outdoorequipmentsupplier
      http://home.hvc.rr.com/outdoorequipment

      If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me.

      Best Regards,
      Brian MacMillin
      OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
      Oes @* hvc.rr.com

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
        Brian Macmillin makes them and his email is oes@...
        For a high school kid, trying to earn money to go to college he does darn
        good work! Catenary cuts on the tarp make them more stable in the wind.
        Nancy
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy" <nafister@h...> wrote:
        > > Anyone interested in the nest by Jacks 'r' Better? I survived bad
        > rain in Indiana last weekend and stayed high and dry in my Hennessey
        > and a MacTarp.
        >
        > I have seen several references to the MacCat tarp or MacTarp, but I
        > can't find anything else about them. Can someone point me to some
        > additional information about them? Why are you using them instead of
        > the regular Hennessy rain fly?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Clark
      • firefly

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
            > Clark,
            > Plug "MacCat" into the archives and read posts in February and March
            about
            > several of us raving about them. Also, look in the photos section
            here. In a
            > nutshell, they shed rain and wind much better than the HH tarp, and
            don't
            > have that obnoxious wind flap noise. The pics I posted are under gusty
            > winds, and there was no noise.
            > Marsanne

            Thanks everyone. I had tried a search of the archives, but I guess I
            didn't get back far enough.

            Clark
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
              ccp5655 wrote:

              >Thanks everyone. I had tried a search of the archives, but I guess I
              >didn't get back far enough.
              >
              >Clark

              Hi Clark,

              For *much* easier long term searching of the list you might want to try:

              http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.culture.backpacking

              Rick
            • Mirage
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

                > For *much* easier long term searching of the list you might want to try:
                >
                > http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.culture.backpacking
                >
                > Rick

                Unfortunately, I only got hammockcammping started on Gmane in early May.

                If anyone has saved the email archives from this list, I (or Rick I imagine) can get them
                imported into Gmane for our searching pleasure.

                Shane "Mirage"...
              • firefly
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

                  Friends,

                  It annoys me that we keep getting spammed, but here is what I have learned: The jerks that do this hit and run and don’t care if we’re mad, or if they’re banned. They only care that we respond. So it makes sense to me that we all do our best to bite our tongues, do not respond at all, and let Ed just delete and block. Maybe that will work. A computer geek friend of mine told me it should.

                  Marsanne

                • Brian MacMillin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

                    And the greatest part is that it was a dead link…..

                    Best Regards,

                    Brian MacMillin

                    OutdoorEquipmentSupplier

                    oes@...

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
                      Since they send out a lot of the spam blindly (not the list ones,
                      but personal) if you respond then they now know they have a live
                      target, especiallly if you respond to their don't bother me reply.
                      Its insidious. best to grit your teeth and ignore, and never never
                      ever use any product so advertised, they only do it because it works
                      for drumming up business.
                      Ralph

                      > Friends,
                      > It annoys me that we keep getting spammed, but here is what I have
                      learned:
                      > The jerks that do this hit and run and don't care if we're mad, or
                      if they'
                      > re banned. They only care that we respond. So it makes sense to me
                      that we
                      > all do our best to bite our tongues, do not respond at all, and
                      let Ed just
                      > delete and block. Maybe that will work. A computer geek friend of
                      mine told
                      > me it should.
                      > Marsanne
                    • SF Nazdarovye
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
                        I'm starting to wonder if they've cracked the Yahoo group signup
                        process with a dictionary attack (basically, signing up lots of random
                        addresses with short words from the dictionary - just like the ones
                        embedded in the graphic you have to read to sign up for a group - until
                        they get through by chance). Otherwise, someone's sure got a lot of
                        time on their hands...

                        Either way, I hope companies and the government get serious about
                        stopping spam asap - the CAN-SPAM act was a joke.