Nest

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2004
      Anyone interested in the nest by Jacks 'r' Better?  I survived bad rain in Indiana last weekend and stayed high and dry in my Hennessey and a MacTarp.
      If you are interested, here is a way to way to contact Peter Pan & Smee - jacksrbetterquilts@...  Price according to the brochure I got today (with lighter weight elastic to attach to the hammock.) is $199.00 but well worth it.  I was lucky enough to get mine at Trail Days (they used it for a demo) and take it home with me, one of the last remaining before they had to re-order materials and so the price has gone up about $25.
      I love it and it weighs 20.2oz - don't need no pad, can also be worn as a jacket around camp, very versatile. I did replace the biners they supplied with ones from Backpackinglight.com, but neither registered anything on my scale - 0.00, so weight is probably accurate either way
      Nancy
    • ccp5655
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy" <nafister@h...> wrote:
        > Anyone interested in the nest by Jacks 'r' Better? I survived bad
        rain in Indiana last weekend and stayed high and dry in my Hennessey
        and a MacTarp.

        I have seen several references to the MacCat tarp or MacTarp, but I
        can't find anything else about them. Can someone point me to some
        additional information about them? Why are you using them instead of
        the regular Hennessy rain fly?

        Thanks,
        Clark
      • Brian MacMillin
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
          Here is are 2 links about my MacCat tarps and pictures. I will soon be
          getting a "real" address, and hopefully make them available directly on
          the website.

          www.geocities.com/outdoorequipmentsupplier
          http://home.hvc.rr.com/outdoorequipment

          If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me.

          Best Regards,
          Brian MacMillin
          OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
          Oes @* hvc.rr.com

          > Anyone interested in the nest by Jacks 'r' Better? I survived bad
          rain in Indiana last weekend and stayed high and dry in my Hennessey
          and a MacTarp.

          I have seen several references to the MacCat tarp or MacTarp, but I
          can't find anything else about them. Can someone point me to some
          additional information about them? Why are you using them instead of
          the regular Hennessy rain fly?

          Thanks,
          Clark

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Nancy
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
            Brian Macmillin makes them and his email is oes@...
            For a high school kid, trying to earn money to go to college he does darn
            good work! Catenary cuts on the tarp make them more stable in the wind.
            Nancy
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy" <nafister@h...> wrote:
            > > Anyone interested in the nest by Jacks 'r' Better? I survived bad
            > rain in Indiana last weekend and stayed high and dry in my Hennessey
            > and a MacTarp.
            >
            > I have seen several references to the MacCat tarp or MacTarp, but I
            > can't find anything else about them. Can someone point me to some
            > additional information about them? Why are you using them instead of
            > the regular Hennessy rain fly?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Clark
          • firefly

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "firefly" <firefly@e...> wrote:
                > Clark,
                > Plug "MacCat" into the archives and read posts in February and March
                about
                > several of us raving about them. Also, look in the photos section
                here. In a
                > nutshell, they shed rain and wind much better than the HH tarp, and
                don't
                > have that obnoxious wind flap noise. The pics I posted are under gusty
                > winds, and there was no noise.
                > Marsanne

                Thanks everyone. I had tried a search of the archives, but I guess I
                didn't get back far enough.

                Clark
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
                  ccp5655 wrote:

                  >Thanks everyone. I had tried a search of the archives, but I guess I
                  >didn't get back far enough.
                  >
                  >Clark

                  Hi Clark,

                  For *much* easier long term searching of the list you might want to try:

                  http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.culture.backpacking

                  Rick
                • Mirage
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

                    > For *much* easier long term searching of the list you might want to try:
                    >
                    > http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.culture.backpacking
                    >
                    > Rick

                    Unfortunately, I only got hammockcammping started on Gmane in early May.

                    If anyone has saved the email archives from this list, I (or Rick I imagine) can get them
                    imported into Gmane for our searching pleasure.

                    Shane "Mirage"...
                  • firefly
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

                      Friends,

                      It annoys me that we keep getting spammed, but here is what I have learned: The jerks that do this hit and run and don’t care if we’re mad, or if they’re banned. They only care that we respond. So it makes sense to me that we all do our best to bite our tongues, do not respond at all, and let Ed just delete and block. Maybe that will work. A computer geek friend of mine told me it should.

                      Marsanne

                    • Brian MacMillin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004

                        And the greatest part is that it was a dead link…..

                        Best Regards,

                        Brian MacMillin

                        OutdoorEquipmentSupplier

                        oes@...

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
                          Since they send out a lot of the spam blindly (not the list ones,
                          but personal) if you respond then they now know they have a live
                          target, especiallly if you respond to their don't bother me reply.
                          Its insidious. best to grit your teeth and ignore, and never never
                          ever use any product so advertised, they only do it because it works
                          for drumming up business.
                          Ralph

                          > Friends,
                          > It annoys me that we keep getting spammed, but here is what I have
                          learned:
                          > The jerks that do this hit and run and don't care if we're mad, or
                          if they'
                          > re banned. They only care that we respond. So it makes sense to me
                          that we
                          > all do our best to bite our tongues, do not respond at all, and
                          let Ed just
                          > delete and block. Maybe that will work. A computer geek friend of
                          mine told
                          > me it should.
                          > Marsanne
                        • SF Nazdarovye
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 5, 2004
                            I'm starting to wonder if they've cracked the Yahoo group signup
                            process with a dictionary attack (basically, signing up lots of random
                            addresses with short words from the dictionary - just like the ones
                            embedded in the graphic you have to read to sign up for a group - until
                            they get through by chance). Otherwise, someone's sure got a lot of
                            time on their hands...

                            Either way, I hope companies and the government get serious about
                            stopping spam asap - the CAN-SPAM act was a joke.