catenary shape applied to hammock end

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      This past weekend, I retied my hammock along a catenary curve at the
      hammock ends. I used a 2 1/2" to 3" drop at each end. The curve was
      drawn like so: The hammock body was hung with the end to be marked
      hanging down. Each end of the chain was attached ~3" up on each
      side. The chain was allowed to sag so that the bottom of the loop
      was even with the middle of the end of the hammock body. A line was
      then drawn along the chain using white-out. After marking the
      curve, I gathered the material along the line, wrapped a (permanent)
      line tightly around the material holding it in place, then tied the
      hammock support rope inside of this wrapping.

      The result was a nice shape with a smooth transition across the
      bottom. The edges of the hammock were a little floppy, so it
      wouldn't hurt to go to a slightly bigger drop. (however, I liked
      the looseness of the edge, and won't retie it.)

      I also pitched an 8x10' tarp along the diagonal as a cover. It has
      gone through a couple of showers now and hasn't pulled up stakes or
      sagged excessively. I'll probably pitch the tarp like this from now
      on.