Re: 7th SEHHA Campout--Hot Springs, NC Jun 12, 2004

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hope everyone is planning to attend our next SouthEast Hammock
      Hangers Campout at Hot Springs, NC on June 12th. See message #5526
      for full description. Remember this is the bluegrass festival
      weekend in Hot Springs, so it promisses to be a fun campout.

      I've already promissed all of my hammock stands, but the campsite has
      trees suitable for 3 or more hammocks. Does anyone have any extra
      stands? We might need them. Obviously this would be a great
      opportunity to perfect those one-tree hammock stands! There's lots
      of single trees at our campsite and the soil is soft river clay/sand.
      So don't hesitate to come simply because you don't have a stand--
      we'll try and accomodate everyone.

      Several folks plan to come only for the day Saturday anyway. It'll be
      a great chance to meet lots of hammock hangers and put faces to
      names....Ed
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 9, 2004
        Our hammock campout in Hot Springs this weekend promisses to be well
        attended! Currently we have about 10 confirmed hammock hangers and 10
        day visitors. And there's always those self-sufficient folks who
        just show up. While signing up is not required, it will help us plan
        for the hot dog dinner Saturday nite. In any event, we'll have the
        fire going and everyone is welcome....Ed

        > It's time for our next southeast hammock hangers campout! Here's
        the
        > details:
        >
        > 7th SHHA Campout
        > Hot Springs Campground
        > Hot Springs, NC
        > Saturday June 12, 2004
        >
        > Join us for the 7th SHHA (Southeast Hammock Hangers Association)
        > campout on Saturday, June 12, 2004. It's FREE! (except for your
        > camping fee). This is an informal group event and everyone is
        welcome-
        > -veteran, novice or future hammockers. See, learn and share your
        > knowledge with other hammock enthusiasts. This will be an easy
        > overnight campout at a commercial campground in a beautiful
        mountain
        > river setting near the Appalachian Trail in western North
        Carolina!
        > Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of
        > the Hammock Camping Newsletters for a fun mid-summer campout.
        > Previous trips were well attended and this is another chance for
        > hammockers to show their stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and
        > be a part of the 'new way'. Meet old friends and make new ones!
        > Check out the newest hammock gear!
        >
        > An added bonus this time is the annual Bluff Mountain Bluegrass
        > Festival! http://main.nc.us/bluff/ The festival is being held the
        > same weekend on the grounds of the Hot Springs Campground--how neat
        > is that! A hammock campout and bluegrass festival all in one!
        Sleep
        > like a baby outdoors and listen to live bluegrass music from your
        > hammock! It doesn't get any better, so don't miss this one!
        >
        > We will camp in the popular Hot Springs Campground approximately 45
        > minute drive northwest of Asheville, NC or 1.5 hours east of
        > Knoxville, TN. The campground is located on the east side of the
        > town of Hot Springs on Highway US 25/70 directly across from the
        Hot
        > Springs Resort and Hot Tubs. The campground is situated on the
        > French Broad River and our campsite (#413) is on the rivers' west
        > bank. Road access to the campground is from Asheville, NC or
        > Newport, TN on US 25/US 70. A few trees are available, but bring
        > hammock stands if you have them--we will also provide stands
        (contact
        > us to reserve one). Everyone will be responsible for his or her
        own
        > transportation, gear, behavior, and camping fees ($5/person).
        >
        > Show up anytime and leave anytime, but don't miss our free Saturday
        > evening hot dog cookout! Following her popular feast at the last
        > Hammock Hangers campout, Karen has offered to repeat it again--it's
        > not to be missed! Otherwise, everyone will be responsible for his
        or
        > her own meals.
        >
        > Upon arrival, check in at the campground office and pay the camping
        > fee. Karen and I will be at the campsite Friday afternoon thru mid-
        > day Sunday, so arrive anytime after 2 pm Friday. Folding lounge
        > chairs might be appropriate for the festival, so bring your own.
        The
        > Hot Springs area abounds with outdoor opportunities like hiking,
        > canoeing, kayaking, fishing, mountain biking, etc--you can easily
        > combine the hammock campout with an outdoor trip. The Appalachian
        > Trail passes thru town and only a few hundred feet from our
        > campsite. The French Broad River adjacent to our campsite is a
        > popular fishing and floating stream.
        >
        > Find complete campground details at:
        >
        > http://www.hotspringsspa-nc.com/campground/campground.html
        >
        > Find driving directions at: http://www.hotspringsspa-
        > nc.com/map/map.html
        >
        > Mid-summer temperatures at this elevation can fluctuate wildly, so
        > expect daytime temps of 50-80F and nighttime temps of 40-60F.
        Rain

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 14, 2004
          Our 7th Southeast Hammock Hangers Association Campout at Hot Springs,
          NC this weekend is now history--my thanks to everyone who attended or
          came by to say hello. We had a good turnout with 9 hammock sleepers
          plus another 9 visitors! It was nice to see old friends and make new
          ones. Attending were: Ed, Karen, John, Sally, Kim, Tammy, Jason,
          Linda, Jan, OB, DS, Andrea, Cameron (5 weeks old!), Dave, Judy, Bill,
          & Tom! On yeah, I forgot the 2 dogs and 1 cat.

          Our riverside camp site provided enough trees for everyone, so we
          didn't need hammock stands after all. Hot summer temperatures on
          Friday and Saturday drove some into the river and made us all glad to
          be under the shade of the trees. Thunder storms on Saturday afternoon
          added some weather excitment but didn't stop our get together. The
          rising river worried several of our hammock hangers who were setup at
          water's edge, but the late-night flashflood warnings from the
          campground security man proved unnecessary.

          Everyone enjoyed Karen's hot dog roast, which was rushed, but not
          stopped by a thunderstorm. The campfire survived the rains and
          provided the focus for Saturday evening after the storms.

          We had hammocks from Speer, Hennessy, and Bliss, as well as several
          Speer-type home made ones. Suess's improved one-tree-one-post
          hammock stand worked perfectly inspite of the doubtful looks from us
          tree hangers.

          Our next campout will be Sept 11 at the Rainbow Springs Campground
          near Franklin, NC. Hope to see everyone there! ....Ed
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 14, 2004
            > Our 7th Southeast Hammock Hangers Association Campout at Hot
            Springs,
            > NC this weekend is now history--my thanks to everyone who attended
            or
            > came by to say hello.

            I've posted a few photos of our campout--see the SEHHA7 album in the
            Photos section of this list. Others with photos are welcome to
            upload theirs as well.

            The photo with two side by side Speer Hammocks on 3 trees shows our
            usual 'couples' set up--note that the extra wide tree spacing (19')
            required extra high tie outs (8') to prevent bottoming out on the
            ground.

            The photo of 3 Hennessy Hammocks tied to 3 trees shows just how
            compact hammocks can be rigged!

            The last photo shows Suess's one-tree-one-post hammock stand, which
            worked surprisingly well....Ed
          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 14, 2004
              Ed, I finished your book, liked it, some good ideas. Thanks.

              When are you gong to make a couples hammock? weight wouldn't be a
              big issue when snuggling is involved.

              Ralph

              > The photo with two side by side Speer Hammocks on 3 trees shows
              our usual 'couples' set up--note that the extra wide tree spacing
              (19') required extra high tie outs (8') to prevent bottoming out on
              the ground.

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 15, 2004
                Hi Ed

                Just couldnt swing it this time. Sure missed the cookout (ok and
                the comradary). Maybe the Franklin hangout will work out. Hi
                Karen. Keep Ed straight.

                Coy Boy

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 15, 2004
                  You were missed Coy. I had the fire wood all set for ya--neatly piled up and
                  ready to split. Will be looking for ya at Rainbow Springs in Sept....Ed

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 15, 2004
                    Glad you liked the book Ralph. Lots of folks also ask about a couples
                    hammock, but like Karen mentioned, we haven't found one yet that passes our
                    comfort test. There may be one out there, but we just haven't found it yet.
                    Likewise, I have no clue how to make one that's suitable for long term
                    sleeping. Our solution is our side-by-side hammocks set up between 3 trees.

                    Would love to hear from the rest of the List on their two-person use of a
                    hammock.....Ed