New hammock camping journal

    Message 1 of 8 , May 30, 2004
      I just drafted my trail journal from the first week of my latest
      adventure, using the journals I kept on the trail and the pictures I
      took there.

      The first week can be seen here:

      http://www.imrisk.com/atsouth/atsoutha.htm

      Maybe I can get to the second week of journals tomorrow.

      Risk.
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2004
        great trip report and photos. thanks for sharing. BTW happy
        birthday in about 30 minutes!

        Coy Boy

        Message 3 of 8 , May 31, 2004
          Coy wrote:

          >great trip report and photos. thanks for sharing. BTW happy
          >birthday in about 30 minutes!

          Coy,

          Thanks for the kudos. However, I must have made something confusing...
          My birthday was on the 18th of May. Why do you believe it is today?

          Rick
        • Admin
          Message 4 of 8 , May 31, 2004
            It sounds like you had an enjoyable hike. There are very few ways I'd rather
            experience a birthday than out on the trail...I turned 18 on the day I walked into
            Maine in 2000, so I have experience with this one :-)

            Oh, and btw, if I've never told you, nice quilt ;-)

            What version of the pack are you using now? I haven't seen a green one on your
            site...

            -Jeremy Padgett (Hungry Howie & The New Sushi)
            Message 5 of 8 , May 31, 2004
              Admin wrote:
              It sounds like you had an enjoyable hike.  There are very few ways I'd rather
              experience a birthday than out on the trail...I turned 18 on the day I walked into
              Maine in 2000, so I have experience with this one :-)

              Oh, and btw, if I've never told you, nice quilt ;-)

              What version of the pack are you using now?  I haven't seen a green one on your
              site...

              -Jeremy Padgett (Hungry Howie & The New Sushi)

              Jeremy aka Hungry Howie,

              Thanks for the kudos. Your quilt plans gave me the hope to build my first down quilt.  Modified for simplicity, it is essentially what you suggested. The materials are from the kit that Thruhiker puts out for your quilt. I don't think I have ever taken the time to thank you for your clear writing, though I point to your instructions on my homepage.

              This was the first I had used the quilt in a shelter outside my hammock.  It works beautifully for that application as well. It worked even better when I discovered that my feet were more comfortable when I used a pillow of my raingear in their stuff sack to keep my heels off the floor. I need to write a little blurb on that sometime.

              The pack is one built by Fanatic Fringe, the Thompson Peak without waist belt. I am testing it for BackpackGearTest. The Initial Review can be seen here.

              Walk Well
              Risk
            • papajohnhikes
              Message 6 of 8 , May 31, 2004
                There are very few ways I'd rather
                > experience a birthday than out on the trail...

                I will turn 52 while in the Smokies on June 14th...Wonder if there
                will be cake and ice cream?
              • Coy
                Message 7 of 8 , May 31, 2004
                  combination of things. sick, late at night, skimming, just plain
                  ignorance. so happy bd a couple of weeks late!

                  Coy Boy

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 31, 2004
                    Coy wrote:

                    >so happy bd a couple of weeks late!

                    Hi Coy,

                    Thanks. It was a fine birthday. (I just wanted to make sure I had not
                    written something that implied a different birth date.)