Re: New to the Forum!

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "hogn8r2004" <hogn8r2004@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hey everyone, I am new to this forum but not new to hammocking. I
      > have been reading the back threads in this group for about three
      > days, and have been very surprised to see all that is going as far
      > as hammocking is concerned. Very creative juices flowing in here! I
      > own a HH (Eped. Asym.) and few others I have built. Some are HUGE,
      > some are small (for my son).
      >
      > I live in Texas, just North of Austin, however I am in Irag right
      > now (civillian sub-contractor). And you can bet that I am sleeping
      > in a hammock while I am over here. The only one that I know of, now
      > that Sgt. Rock has left.
      >
      > I have posted some pictures in the photo album of how I rig my
      > hammock with only one tree, two different ways. And I am going to
      > post some pictures of the knots, hitches and bends I most
      frequently
      > use. Someday I will have a web page with all this stuff on it, but
      > for now I will post it here.
      >
      > When I get back to the real world, I look forward to meeting some
      of
      > ya'll!

      Welcome to the Hammock Camping List. What are you working on over in
      Iraq?

      Interesting photos... That's got to the be the first time I've seen a
      hammock photo with bomb parts lying about. Use em for ash trays
      doya? ;-)

      Two things you can do to enhance security/stability with your pole
      setup: (1) dig a small hole in the ground to hold the pole; (2) add
      two guy lines to the pole in an A-frame shape to keep it from tilting
      over.

      Looking forward to seeing the knots/hitches. Remember that close-up
      pictures are better for seeing what's going on. If you use a knot
      not generally known (or of your own invention) you can photograph it
      loose, opened up & laid on the ground to help us see how its tied.

      Doug Frost
    • hogn8r2004
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2004
        I am working with KBR over here right now. I work in the air
        conditioning department. Basically what we do is take care of the
        military while they are on our camp. We do the building, support and
        maintenance (as well as other stuff like DFAC) so they can
        concentrate on the priorities. My camp is Camp Delta located in
        Sotheastern Iraq. Just on the outskirts of a city called Al-Kut (or
        just Kut) about 2.5 hours from Babylon. My camp is currently housing
        about 6000 Coalition Soldiers, including US Forces.

        My hammock is set up in my room, I will get some pics of that as
        well when I get back from my road trip in a few days. I gotta go to
        the Iran Border and do some work on a satellite camp (Badra on the
        map). I may be leaving tomorrow and the return is still up in the
        air. But I will get 'em as soon as I can.

        Thanks for the info on the Fell Walker gruop. Not this year, but
        maybe next year I can get a trip over there. Sounds like fun.