RE: [Hammock Camping] New to the Forum!

  • firefly
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2004

      Welcome! I was in state government in Louisiana until January, in the governor’s office. My former assistant is in the Army Reserves and was called up in December. I have not heard from him in a month or so. Every day there is news about somebody else getting killed. I hope you are in a safe area. I didn’t know Sgt. Rock was there. I had an interest in trying to get a job there, thought it would be exciting an lucrative, but have decided to set up my own PR firm here instead. Welcome to the group. I would love to hear all about your hammocking experiences over there. Look, on a side note, if you take a break and go to England on vacation, there is a really nice group of hikers there. They have a Yahoo group, under “fell walking”. I was treated very warmly by them 2 years ago when I went over there to meet the Brit side of my family. Might be a nice break from the desert if you get a medium sized break and have time to fly there but not to the US.

      Marsanne

      I live in Texas, just North of Austin, however I am in Irag right
      now (civillian sub-contractor). And you can bet that I am sleeping
      in a hammock while I am over here. The only one that I know of, now
      that Sgt. Rock has left.

      I have posted some pictures in the photo album of how I rig my
      hammock with only one tree, two different ways. And I am going to
      post some pictures of the knots, hitches and bends I most frequently
      use. Someday I will have a web page with all this stuff on it, but
      for now I will post it here.

    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "hogn8r2004" <hogn8r2004@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hey everyone, I am new to this forum but not new to hammocking. I
        > have been reading the back threads in this group for about three
        > days, and have been very surprised to see all that is going as far
        > as hammocking is concerned. Very creative juices flowing in here! I
        > own a HH (Eped. Asym.) and few others I have built. Some are HUGE,
        > some are small (for my son).
        >
        > I live in Texas, just North of Austin, however I am in Irag right
        > now (civillian sub-contractor). And you can bet that I am sleeping
        > in a hammock while I am over here. The only one that I know of, now
        > that Sgt. Rock has left.
        >
        > I have posted some pictures in the photo album of how I rig my
        > hammock with only one tree, two different ways. And I am going to
        > post some pictures of the knots, hitches and bends I most
        frequently
        > use. Someday I will have a web page with all this stuff on it, but
        > for now I will post it here.
        >
        > When I get back to the real world, I look forward to meeting some
        of
        > ya'll!

        Welcome to the Hammock Camping List. What are you working on over in
        Iraq?

        Interesting photos... That's got to the be the first time I've seen a
        hammock photo with bomb parts lying about. Use em for ash trays
        doya? ;-)

        Two things you can do to enhance security/stability with your pole
        setup: (1) dig a small hole in the ground to hold the pole; (2) add
        two guy lines to the pole in an A-frame shape to keep it from tilting
        over.

        Looking forward to seeing the knots/hitches. Remember that close-up
        pictures are better for seeing what's going on. If you use a knot
        not generally known (or of your own invention) you can photograph it
        loose, opened up & laid on the ground to help us see how its tied.

        Doug Frost
      • hogn8r2004
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2004
          I am working with KBR over here right now. I work in the air
          conditioning department. Basically what we do is take care of the
          military while they are on our camp. We do the building, support and
          maintenance (as well as other stuff like DFAC) so they can
          concentrate on the priorities. My camp is Camp Delta located in
          Sotheastern Iraq. Just on the outskirts of a city called Al-Kut (or
          just Kut) about 2.5 hours from Babylon. My camp is currently housing
          about 6000 Coalition Soldiers, including US Forces.

          My hammock is set up in my room, I will get some pics of that as
          well when I get back from my road trip in a few days. I gotta go to
          the Iran Border and do some work on a satellite camp (Badra on the
          map). I may be leaving tomorrow and the return is still up in the
          air. But I will get 'em as soon as I can.

          Thanks for the info on the Fell Walker gruop. Not this year, but
          maybe next year I can get a trip over there. Sounds like fun.