New to the Forum!

  • hogn8r2004
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30 5:57 AM
      Hey everyone, I am new to this forum but not new to hammocking. I
      have been reading the back threads in this group for about three
      days, and have been very surprised to see all that is going as far
      as hammocking is concerned. Very creative juices flowing in here! I
      own a HH (Eped. Asym.) and few others I have built. Some are HUGE,
      some are small (for my son).

      I live in Texas, just North of Austin, however I am in Irag right
      now (civillian sub-contractor). And you can bet that I am sleeping
      in a hammock while I am over here. The only one that I know of, now
      that Sgt. Rock has left.

      I have posted some pictures in the photo album of how I rig my
      hammock with only one tree, two different ways. And I am going to
      post some pictures of the knots, hitches and bends I most frequently
      use. Someday I will have a web page with all this stuff on it, but
      for now I will post it here.

      When I get back to the real world, I look forward to meeting some of
      ya'll!
    • firefly

        Message 3 of 4 , May 30 9:32 AM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "hogn8r2004" <hogn8r2004@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hey everyone, I am new to this forum but not new to hammocking. I
          > have been reading the back threads in this group for about three
          > days, and have been very surprised to see all that is going as far
          > as hammocking is concerned. Very creative juices flowing in here! I
          > own a HH (Eped. Asym.) and few others I have built. Some are HUGE,
          > some are small (for my son).
          >
          > I live in Texas, just North of Austin, however I am in Irag right
          > now (civillian sub-contractor). And you can bet that I am sleeping
          > in a hammock while I am over here. The only one that I know of, now
          > that Sgt. Rock has left.
          >
          > I have posted some pictures in the photo album of how I rig my
          > hammock with only one tree, two different ways. And I am going to
          > post some pictures of the knots, hitches and bends I most
          frequently
          > use. Someday I will have a web page with all this stuff on it, but
          > for now I will post it here.
          >
          > When I get back to the real world, I look forward to meeting some
          of
          > ya'll!

          Welcome to the Hammock Camping List. What are you working on over in
          Iraq?

          Interesting photos... That's got to the be the first time I've seen a
          hammock photo with bomb parts lying about. Use em for ash trays
          doya? ;-)

          Two things you can do to enhance security/stability with your pole
          setup: (1) dig a small hole in the ground to hold the pole; (2) add
          two guy lines to the pole in an A-frame shape to keep it from tilting
          over.

          Looking forward to seeing the knots/hitches. Remember that close-up
          pictures are better for seeing what's going on. If you use a knot
          not generally known (or of your own invention) you can photograph it
          loose, opened up & laid on the ground to help us see how its tied.

          Doug Frost
        • hogn8r2004
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30 10:40 AM
            I am working with KBR over here right now. I work in the air
            conditioning department. Basically what we do is take care of the
            military while they are on our camp. We do the building, support and
            maintenance (as well as other stuff like DFAC) so they can
            concentrate on the priorities. My camp is Camp Delta located in
            Sotheastern Iraq. Just on the outskirts of a city called Al-Kut (or
            just Kut) about 2.5 hours from Babylon. My camp is currently housing
            about 6000 Coalition Soldiers, including US Forces.

            My hammock is set up in my room, I will get some pics of that as
            well when I get back from my road trip in a few days. I gotta go to
            the Iran Border and do some work on a satellite camp (Badra on the
            map). I may be leaving tomorrow and the return is still up in the
            air. But I will get 'em as soon as I can.

            Thanks for the info on the Fell Walker gruop. Not this year, but
            maybe next year I can get a trip over there. Sounds like fun.