Re: [Hammock Camping] Down Air Mattress

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 10 , May 29, 2004
      to bad the ba aircore and insul mat "max-thermo" dont take the cue
      from the dam and make a much wider pad at the shoulders. I think I
      would get one if they did. 25 in at the shoulders, 22 at the hips
      tapering on down to about 18 at the feet would sure make for a nice
      hammock pad. the medium sized dam is sized about right for me but a
      size up and down for bigger or smaller folks would be nice in other
      brands as well.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gear_collector"
      <dwadsworth@m...> wrote:
      > As an alternative to the DAM, you might consider the Insul
      Mat "Max-
      > Thermo" or the Big Agnes Insulated AirCore mat. Both are partly
      > filled with Primaloft insulation and you can blow them up with
      your
      > mouth rather than the special bag. The $65 BA mat is 20 oz and
      rated
      > to 15F, and the $54 Max-Thermo is 23 oz (no rating but seems to be
      > equivalent to BA).
      >
      > I considered the Exped DAM but went with these (Max-Thermo for
      > girlfriend, the lighter BA for me on solo trips) and am very
      > pleased. By far the most comfortable pad I've ever used as I'm
      sure
      > the DAM will be as well. My thermarest and other pads will be on
      > ebay shortly never to be used by me again. Like the DAM these
      things
      > also pack down to the size of a nalgene bottle, especially the
      > slightly smaller BA. They're much cheaper but one trade-off
      versus
      > the DAM besides the higher R rating on the DAM is the custom
      sizing
      > you're getting. The Primaloft pads I have are pretty narrow (to
      > better fit the sleeve on my BA Horse Thief) so I may need to stuff
      > some clothes or something along the sides so my arms don't touch
      the
      > hammock body when it's very cold.
      >
      > Side note, I experimented with a custom made undershell with down
      > quilt which worked fine (got down to 25F with no problems) but was
      > pain to setup and took up much more pack real estate than the BA
      > insulated mat. With a sleeve on the bag so it stays put, I find
      the
      > insulated mat has become my preferred method of staying warm.
      This

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2004
        > But right now its way too warm where I am at to not appreciate a
        > hammock for what it is best at, a warm weather shelter. I'm
        heading
        > out for a little walk in the morning on the AT and I'll be taking
        my
        > two-layer hammock with only a 24"x44"x3/8" pad and an 18 oz
        sleeping
        > bag. I'll probably be too warm! I'll also take along my homemade
        > 8'x10' catenary (ridgeline & edges) tarp with the self limiting
        shock
        > cord arrangement. I haven't taken very many trips with this
        > particular tarp and I don't think it has been exposed to high winds
        > and rain at the same time... hmmm, I'm not sure if I want the
        weather
        > to give it a real good test or not.
        >
        > Dave

        Well, I finished my little walk on the Georgia section of the AT.
        The tarp worked fine, it stayed taut every night without any
        retensioning or flapping and I think at one time or another I got hit
        with pretty good winds from every direction. Had high winds and rain
        one night on the peak of Springer Mountain and it did great... I was
        only partially hidden by a bush so I got lots of wind driven rain,
        fortunately all of it was broadside to the tarp and everything stayed
        dry.

        I was surprised at the amount of undergrowth along the trail, don't
        recall every seeing the Georgia section of the AT so close to being
        overgrown over such a wide area. The undergrowth was so thick and
        high that in some pretty long stretches it may have been easier to
        find spots for tents than for hammocks. If it wasn't for established
        and worn down camping areas, it would have been difficult to hang
        hammocks. One night I spent a lot of time trudging through the brush
        (I haven't been sensitive to poison ivy) where I told my companions
        we would camp for the night and finally found what I thought were
        suitable trees. After I stomped down and/or snapped off some of the
        undergrowth I noticed that poison ivy vines were all over the trunks
        of the trees. I'm not interested in getting poison ivy on my hands,
        so I decided to just leave a note for the folks behind me and go on
        ahead and camp at a forest road crossing (Cooper Gap) where there was
        a larger established camp site. Very frustrating. There were some
        areas where everything wasn't totally overgrown, but they seemed to
        be spotty until I got near the North Carolina border.

        On the other hand, the hammock and tarp setup worked great. I was at
        the Low Gap Shelter in Georgia on saturday night and it was very
        crowded. I stomped down a little vegation on the outskirts of one of
        the tenting areas and setup my hammock with the tarp at standup
        height. Later on three fellas set up various size tarps just a few
        feet down slope from me. Well, about an hour before daybreak it
        started raining, and raining. And then it started raining real hard-
        sheets of water on the ground had two of them retreating to the third
        guys 10x10 tarp. Shoot, I just used my umbrella to retrieve my food
        bag and cooked my breakfast sitting in my hammock out of the rain.
        They were real impressed with my setup and asked a lot of questions
        before they left.

        Dave
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2004
          Great report Dave!

          I also found the trails overgrown. Worst place was the Smoky Mountains.

          Like you, I mainly found places to hammock camp around established
          campsites. However, there were plenty of places in between where the
          undergrowth was sparse, and there was no poison ivy... just not nearly
          so much choice as in early spring.

          >Well, I finished my little walk on the Georgia section of the AT.
          >The tarp worked fine, it stayed taut every night without any
          >retensioning or flapping and I think at one time or another I got hit
          >with pretty good winds from every direction. Had high winds and rain
          >one night on the peak of Springer Mountain and it did great... I was
          >only partially hidden by a bush so I got lots of wind driven rain,
          >fortunately all of it was broadside to the tarp and everything stayed
          >dry.
          >
          >I was surprised at the amount of undergrowth along the trail, don't
          >recall every seeing the Georgia section of the AT so close to being
          >overgrown over such a wide area. The undergrowth was so thick and
          >high that in some pretty long stretches it may have been easier to
          >find spots for tents than for hammocks. If it wasn't for established
          >and worn down camping areas, it would have been difficult to hang
          >hammocks. One night I spent a lot of time trudging through the brush
          >(I haven't been sensitive to poison ivy) where I told my companions
          >we would camp for the night and finally found what I thought were
          >suitable trees. After I stomped down and/or snapped off some of the
          >undergrowth I noticed that poison ivy vines were all over the trunks
          >of the trees. I'm not interested in getting poison ivy on my hands,
          >so I decided to just leave a note for the folks behind me and go on
          >ahead and camp at a forest road crossing (Cooper Gap) where there was
          >a larger established camp site. Very frustrating. There were some
          >areas where everything wasn't totally overgrown, but they seemed to
          >be spotty until I got near the North Carolina border.
          >
          >On the other hand, the hammock and tarp setup worked great. I was at
          >the Low Gap Shelter in Georgia on saturday night and it was very
          >crowded. I stomped down a little vegation on the outskirts of one of
          >the tenting areas and setup my hammock with the tarp at standup
          >height. Later on three fellas set up various size tarps just a few
          >feet down slope from me. Well, about an hour before daybreak it
          >started raining, and raining. And then it started raining real hard-
          >sheets of water on the ground had two of them retreating to the third
          >guys 10x10 tarp. Shoot, I just used my umbrella to retrieve my food
          >bag and cooked my breakfast sitting in my hammock out of the rain.
          >They were real impressed with my setup and asked a lot of questions
          >before they left.

          I also camped at Low Gap. I used two trees just down slope from the
          shelter and just past the bear cables. A picture of my set up there can
          be seen:

          http://www.imrisk.com/atsouth/P5170020_web.JPG

          Note the bear cable fittings at the right of the picture.

          Again, I really enjoyed your account.

          Risk
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2004

            > I also found the trails overgrown. Worst place was the Smoky
            Mountains.

            > Like you, I mainly found places to hammock camp around established
            > campsites. However, there were plenty of places in between where
            the
            > undergrowth was sparse, and there was no poison ivy... just not
            nearly
            > so much choice as in early spring.

            Yeah, I was shocked. I had previously hiked all but the last three
            miles of Georgia since the first of the year, most of it within the
            last two months. I couldn't get to some of the places that I had
            hammock camped earlier. I had remembered a great spot on Sassafras
            Mountain that I couldn't even find/recognize. I found the scenery
            was not nearly as nice as it was prior to the green explosion... some
            of it isn't even visible now. The hiking was probably more enjoyable
            then also- its not much fun making contact with brush, grass, leaves,
            etc as you hike along, especially if it is wet. But, as usual, the
            trip was fun.

            I took along my sighting compass and had loaded the waypoints of some
            of the prominent peaks on my GPS. At overlooks, I could use the GPS
            to get the range and bearing of different peaks and then see if I had
            a line of sight to them. It was neat! At one point on Wildcat
            Mountain we had lined up from left to right: Cowrock Mountain,
            Levelland Mountain, Blood Mountain and Slaughter Mountain. I was
            even able to spot Brasstown Bald and Yonah Mountain from places I
            didn't know about (these Stone Mountain and Rabun Bald are probably
            the most recognizable peaks in Georgia). Anyhow, this is something
            that I have being playing around with for a little while and have
            been having some fun doing.

            Hey Ed, I meet a guy named Miles (?) at Low Gap Shelter that
            mentioned to me that he had done a little trail magic for Ed Speer
            when he was on the AT in 2000. I told him he ought to log on to this
            site and say 'hi'.

            Dave
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 7, 2004
              Don't remember him Dave, but then lots of people helped me on each of my
              hikes. Hope he signs on ans says hi....Ed